Chapter 3: That's a big problem

The boys groaned and slowly got to their feet as the Titan started walking through the forest. "We gotta go. We can't beat this thing." Isaiah mumbled as he helped Spade to his feet. They quickly and painful limped away from the Titan who goes the opposite direction. "We have the advantage of the trees. He can't find us, but the smaller ones might." CI said as he pulls out his weapon. "How do they get mutated? Like I know the sound affects their mind making them infected and the sound damages and destroys part of the brain but how do they do stuff like this?" Spade asks as he leans against a fallen log. CI put his weapon down and rested beside the others. He pulls out his notebook and goes to a new bag. "Surprised you still have that and it is mildly damaged." Isaiah groans as he holds his leg. "I know. I just need to write down what we learned that way we can maybe do some investigating. Let's do some theorizing. How are they mutated? We know the audio is causing them to get infected but how are they getting mutated. Are they inserting metal into their bodies?" CI asks as he looks through his notebook. "Remember those "earthquakes" that happened a few days after the infection happened. I suspect those weren't actual earthquakes and whatever that was is bringing the mutants." Spade says as he examines his body. No one spoke as they though to themselves for a bit. "I think it is safe to move now." Isaiah says as he begins to get up. CI helps him to his feet and Spade uses a branch to help him stand. Spade puts the branch down and they make their way towards the wreckage. 

After seeing that the coast is clear the examine the wreckage again. CI puts the map back into his bag and grabs a few rations. Isaiah pulls out his backpack. "Surprised this didn't burn. Some stuff is damaged but it isn't severe. Wish we didn't get jumped though." Spade backs away from the wreckage and looks towards the field they hid in earlier. "Is that supposed to be there?" Spade asks tapping them on the shoulders. CI and Isaiah turned around to see a factory in the middle of the field. "That's odd. I don't think that should be there. Spade do you still have those binoculars?" CI asks putting his hand out. Spade hands CI some binoculars and CI looks at the factory. CI mouth drops open and hands the binoculars over to Isaiah. "What's wrong?" Isaiah looks through the binoculars and his eyes go wide. Spade snatches the binoculars and also looks at the factory. What he sees leaves him in shock. A bunch of infected are walking inside and out another door are more distorted versions of the infected and the mutants they encountered. "So that concludes it. These factories are transforming people, but how?" Spade mumbles to himself trying to figure it out. "We should not investigate that. We are so gonna die if we head in there." CI interrupts Spade's thoughts waving his hands in the air. "He has a point Spade. That is literal suicide." Isaiah agrees as he walks away from the wrecked and stares at the town. "I don't think the town is a better idea." CI arches a eyebrow at Isaiah's remark. "Why is that?" CI and Spade look at the town to see the Titan roaming through the town. "Who knows what mutants could be in there?" Spade says as he looks back the way they came. "The city is also too far away to turn back there and who knows what could be there." CI stopped and thought for a bit. "We are going around the town, but we use the forest as cover. Watch your backs and check your supplies. If we can make it before it becomes night we will be in better shape." CI started making his way to the forest and Isaiah and Spade followed. 

As they moved through the forest. Isaiah pulled out his watch and saw it was 7:48. "Should we make shelter?" "That sounds rea-" "No we shouldn't" CI interrupts as he continues to walk. "They will just surround us. Are shelter will be up in the trees." CI looks up at the trees and walks to the biggest one. He climbs the tree and sits on a branch big enough to carry his weight. The others do the same on other branches and Spade and CI ties themselves down with rope so they don't fall. "What is so bad about the night time?" Spade asked as he hangs his gear on a nearby branch. "Zeros." CI responses as he closes his eyes and begins to rest. "What are Zeros?" Isaiah asks getting impatient. CI points down and Isaiah and Spade see a bunch of mutants running through the bushes in the forest. "I have only encountered them so far in forests but they could be in other places. In my opinion they are the worst type of mutant. They are fast, agile, durable and brutal." As they continued to watch the Zeros they saw a deer run by before being savagely ripped apart and eaten by the Zeros. "They work together to kill their prey and they are very good at killing." "Woah woah woah. The mutants working together. That's new." Spade's gazed fixed on CI. "Shush." CI whispered. "You will alert them if your too loud." Spade slouched and looked over at Isaiah. "How are you doing?" Isaiah looked at the stars and stayed quiet. "Tired is all. I just have this feeling we are all going to die." No one said anything they all just looked in different directions. They all felt the same hopelessness. "Hey it can't be that bad. We survived this long." CI says with the same tone of voice. "Ugh. Man you can't hide it from us. We know you act differently in front of others than what really happens. We all feel the hopelessness and you trying to act like you don't feel it is just making me mad." Isaiah says as he turns away from the boys. "Good night." CI sighs and lays against the tree. Spade stays quiet and they all head to sleep hoping they awake in the morning.