9. Late Night Nachos

We all drive to the party and Stevie and Jere mess around with some books. I go to the corner and sneak a small cup of alcohol. I even know what kind. Just what I need right now.

I chug some and then pour some more. Conrad joins me. Then Laura calls him over. I go sit down with Jere and Stevie and sip my drink. Then Conrad comes over and plops down next to me.

"Can I have a sip?" He asks. I hand the cup to him and he drinks some. We take turns until it's gone.

"This is boring." Jere says.

"Agreed. We can walk through town. Buy some weed from that guy with the Rainbow Dash tattoo?" Jere says.

"Nah, he got arrested last summer." Conrad says.

"You know, we could go to the drive-in. See Belly and Cam-Cameron." Jeremiah says.

"I mean, it's something to do." I say.

"I don't want to see my sister hooking up with some guy in the back of a mini-van." Stevie says.

"Yo actually, let's go to the drive in." Conrad says.

"Wait, for real?" Stevie asks.

"Yeah, why not?" Conrad asks.

"Alright bro." Stevie says.

"I'm driving." Stevie says.

We all go out to the car and I get in the back seat with Conrad. We pull up next to Belly, all by herself. Jere and Stevie start making kissing noises and Belly gets out of the car.

Belly starts yelling at them and then looks at me. "Don't you have something better to do? Maybe support the woman who's took you in for the past 3 weeks?!" Belly asks.

I raise my eyebrows in surprise. "Shouldn't you be supporting your own mother? Not hooking up with a guy you just met?" I ask.

"Now you're actually saying more than one word answers? Wow." Belly says. I roll my eyes.

The only times I have energy are when I've been drinking or right after I've gotten a shower. That's it.

"Please leave." Belly says. Conrad gives in and we all leave.

When we get home, I go sit on the couch and my stomach rumbles. I don't really eat much. Not since my parents died. Nothing's really been appetizing.

"You hungry?" Conrad asks.

"No." I say. Conrad gives me a suspicious look.

"Mack, come on, your stomach just grumbled." He says.

"It's just, nothing's really been appetizing ever since, you know, those two days." I say.

"How about some nachos?" Conrad asks. "Nachos are always appetizing." He says.

I shrug, knowing that I'm not winning this battle. "Okay, sure." I say. Conrad cracks a smile and he grabs nachos, cheese, salsa, jalapeños, and all of the other things to put on nachos.

"Ok, you lay the chips out on the tray." Conrad says. "I'll slice the jalapeños." He says. I nod and start laying and piling up nachos on a small tray. Then I sprinkle some cheese on them and Conrad puts some diced jalapeños on them too. I put salsa in a bowl and then Conrad puts the nachos in the oven.

We both sit down and wait for the timer to go off. I take a sip of beer and so does Conrad. "Tonight was kinda fun I guess." I say.

"Yeah." Conrad says. We sit there and sip our beers. When the timer goes off, Conrad grabs the nachos and we start eating them.

"Damn, your were right, these are good." I say. Conrad smiles.

"Told you." Conrad says. He grabs a nacho and makes airplane noises. "Here comes the airplane!" He says, laughing. I eat it and laugh.

"We are wasted." I say.

"Oh absolutely." Conrad says. We both start laughing. When we finish our nachos, I go sit on the couch and lay down. "Aren't you gonna go to your room to sleep?" Conrad asks.

"I'm too tired to walk up stairs." I mumble. Conrad chuckles and picks me up.

"I'll take you." He says. He picks me up and lays me down in my bed.

"Goodnight Conrad." I say.

"Goodnight Mack Attack." Conrad says. We both laugh a little and then I pass out into sleep.