6. Deb Cuts

"Mack, that was the worst lie that I've ever heard. Conrad says.

I look down. "You know? Don't you?" I ask. Conrad's face softens, he looks kinda sad.

"Yeah." Conrad says. "The knife, your wrists." He says. We stand there in silence.

"I-I'm working on it." I say. "These past few weeks have been a lot." I say. My voice breaks a little. Conrad nods.

"Yeah. I know." He says. He wraps his arm around me and looks at me. Then he smiles a little. "Hey, let's forget about this, okay? Let's go pick up some of the good muffins before everybody else gets up." He says. "Belly ran away and said that there was somewhere she had to be."

"Yeah, sure." I say. We both walk back to the house together. We both grab some muffins and eat some of the good ones. I groan in pain. My head starts thumping.

"What?" Conrad asks. "Headache?"

I nod. "I shouldn't of gotten that drunk last night." I say. Then Conrad groans.

"Me too." He says. "Let's just go wait on the couch. Jer can make a hangover smoothie later." I nod and hold my head. I go lay on the couch on the opposite end of Conrad. We both lay there until Jeremiah and Steven come down.

"Well, Conrad does not have hope, actually." Jeremiah says. "He's hopeless. But my hangover smoothie, it cures all." He says.

"Can you please just hurry up?" Conrad asks. "Please?"

"Please?" I ask.

"I said that." Conrad says.

"Yeah, I know." I say. I fall back asleep but then I hear a loud blender noise and I shoot up. Then I cover my ears and lay back down.

Jeremiah taps my shoulder. "Here." He says. He hands me a smoothie and I sit up. Belly walks in and Laurel sees her bruise from last night. Mine's worse.

I drink my smoothie and then Susannah walk in. "Oh my god." She says. "Belly and Mackenzie are gonna be debutantes." I smile a little and Conrad gives me a look.

"You sure you wanna do that?" Conrad asks. "You know that they wear dresses with no sleeves, right?" Conrad says. My eyes go wide. Fuck.

"I-I can just use makeup." I say. "Right?" I ask. "I'm only doing it because my mom would want me to do it." I say.

Conrad shrugs. "It's not you." He says.

"Yeah, I know." I say. I look down.

"I'm going for a swim." Conrad says. He walks out.

"Mackenzie, go get dressed, we're going shopping." Laura says.

"Ok." I say. I get up and go upstairs to my room. I put on a short sleeved shirt and different shorts. Then I grab the water proof makeup out of my bag.

I go into the bathroom and apply some makeup to my wrists and forearms. After it looks normal, I go downstairs and slide on some crocs.

We starts walking to the car and I see Conrad swimming in the pool. I see his shirt off and his sexy body.

I get in the car and then we go shopping for nice outfits. I pick out 5 outfits that are two parts, and then I pick out 2 summer dresses. I go and pick out a hat thingy. I don't know what it's called but it's ugly. Then we get to the deb ball dresses. Belly goes first and she takes forever. Then I go and I try on 5 dresses. Susannah is really picky about it but I don't care.

After 20 minutes of trying on dresses, I pick one out that isn't poofy, but it's not tight either. It has some little flower designs on it and the straps aren't super skinny like the others. I really like it. I walk out with a smile on my face. I guess I really sold the smile to Susannah because she says yes.

When we get back in the car, Susannah asks me a question, "So, do you have an escort in mind?" Susannah asks me.

"No." I say.

"Hm, ok then." Susannah says. Suspicious.

When we get back, Laura goes to her office to try and write a book. I go into my room and put on my blue sundress. I lay on my bed and stare at the ceiling for a bit. It's what I do when I'm alone and bored.

The door is cracked open and I see Conrad walk by. "Hi Con." I say. Conrad walk in.

"Hey Mack. What's up?" He asks.

"I dunno." I say.

"How'd the makeup work out?" He asks.

"Good." I say. "Shopping was boring though. Not for me." I say. "What are you doing?"

"My mom wants me to help her with something." Conrad says. "So I'm going to do that."

"Have fun." I say. "I gotta go to that deb thing soon so I'll see you tonight." I say. "Oh wait, do you like my ugly ass dress?" I ask. I stand up and twirl around.

"I don't think it's ugly." Conrad says.

"Well I do." I say. "See you tonight." I say. Conrad goes to his room.