50

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

FRED HAD GOTTEN VERY WORRIED. Ever since yesterday, Ebony hadn't said a word to anyone anymore and nobody knew what had happened. Even her new friend and roommate had no clue. He decided to keep an eye on her during the day which only led to more confusion. 

"Well, good afternoon!" Professor Umbridge says, when finally the whole class had sat down. 

 A few people mumble "good afternoon" in reply.

"Tut, tut," Professor Umbridge says. "That won't do, now, will it? I should like you, please, to reply 'Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge'. One more time, please. Good afternoon, class!" 

"Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge," they chant back at her, though, Ebony doesn't even try to be nice to her new teacher. She's still stuck in her thoughts.

"There, now," Professor Umbridge says sweetly. "That wasn't too difficult, was it? Wands away and quills out, please."

"Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disrupted and fragmented, hasn't it?"states Professor Umbridge, turning to face the class with her hands clasped neatly in front of her. "The constant changing of teachers, many of whom do not seem to have followed any Ministry approved curriculum, has unfortunately resulted in your being far below the standard we would expect to see in your NEWT year."

"You will be pleased to know, however, that these problems are now to be rectified. We will be following a carefully structured, theory-centerd, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic this year. Copy down the following, please." 

She turns around the black board to show the classroom a text written on it: Course Aims: 

 1. Understanding the principles underlying defensive magic. 

 2. Learning to recognize situations in which defensive magic can legally be used. 

 3. Placing the use of defensive magic in a context for practical use.

A moment of silence follows from students who are reading it first before they copy it down. Professor Umbridge looks around the classroom with a satisfied smile until her gaze lands on the very unbothered Ebony.

"Miss Black, could you tell me why you aren't copying this down?" She asks, loudly. 

"I'll figure it out later." Ebony replies, simply.

"No." Professor Umbridge says, annoyedly. "You will copy it right now."

Ebony doesn't move, instead she only looks up at the pink lady with a serious look. Her arms are crossed over her chest and she stares towards her teacher with zero interest. 

"Professor, she has lost her brother last year--" Some Ravenclaw student tries to explain.

"I remember that, of course." Professor Umbridge replies. "But that is not an excuse to not participate in class. You have been excused one month of school and you had two months rest. You don't get any special treatment anymore." She sends a very subtle glare towards Ebony before continuing.

"Has everybody got a copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?"

Nobody answers, a dull moment takes over in the classroom.

"I think we'll try that again," Professor Umbridge says. "When I ask you a question, I should like you to reply, 'Yes, Professor Umbridge', or 'No, Professor Umbridge'. So: has everyone got a copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?"