Chapter Twenty Two

Start from the beginning

Percy nodded his head, repeating her words in his head until he understood what she meant. He could tell Valerie's thoughts were produced faster than most people; including him. But he liked how she explained things in a way that didn't make him feel stupid like he was used to. He also liked how she quotes random authors or poets in conversations to prove her points, and how her eyes lightened up when she talked about something she was passionate about. So he told himself that he listened to her talk about the book for the next ten minutes because he was curious about what she had to say. It had nothing to do with the way her passion sparked something warm in his chest. Just like speaking to her had no correlation with the sudden comfort he felt. Absolutely nothing.

"So why do you need my help finding it?" he asked.
"Well, because it's in the restricted section and you have entered before."
"Yeah and Snape almost killed me."
"Look around, no one is here" she pointed out.
He considered it for a second, "Fine. But make sure no one comes" he said. Valerie nodded and he passed the restricted sign on the door.

The restricted section was darker than he remembered, but he was able to find the golden cover of Brave New World on the top shelf. He took it as fast as possible and left as fast as he could. When he got out Valerie was waiting there with an impatient look on her face.
"Did you get it?!"
Percy lifted the book in his hands, and she beamed up the most gleaming smile he had ever seen in a person.
"Thank you so much! I owe you!" she chirped.
"This means I get to read it too, right?"
Valerie tilted her head like the answer was obvious, "As soon as I'm done reading it I'll give it to you."

They began walking towards the dining hall in hopes of making it on time for dinner.
"Are you ready for the OWL's tomorrow?" Valerie asked.
Percy raised his eyebrows "That's tomorrow?"
Valerie nodded, "I thought you were studying for it"
"I am, but I thought I had more time."
"If you want, I can help you go over the things you missed," she offered.
"No that's not necessary. I'll figure it out."
They entered the dining hall and went their separate ways; Valerie went towards the Ravenclaw table and Percy to the Slytherin's. As soon as he sat down, he was greeted by Malfoy boasting about some new thing his father bought him. Percy tuned him out almost immediately and looked towards the front, accidentally staring right into Hermione's eyes. She was talking to Ron; while Harry, who was next to her, looked miserable. Percy felt kind of bad for him, but quickly washed the feeling off.
The mention of his name brought him back from his thoughts.

"Percy might know" Blaise said.
Percy turned his head, "Know what?"
"If Audrey Holdsworth and Valerie Aesther are up for market" Malfoy said with a smile on his face.
Up for market? Percy resisted the urge to punch him in the face. "Why would I know that?"
"Because you're always talking to them mate" he said. "You are friends with two of the hottest girls in school and for what? You don't even take advantage"
Percy contemplated on knocking him out to the floor.
Blaise laughed, "Mate Audrey Holdsworth hates you. Didn't you cheat on her while you guys were together?"
Malfoy nodded his head "Doesn't matter. Were getting back together, she just doesn't know it yet"
"Yeah right...plus I heard she's obsessed with Oliver Wood" Blaise said.
Malfoy's eyes widened, "You mean the new Quidditch coach?"
Blaise nodded and Malfoy rolled his eyes, "That is such a lie ,Audrey would never like him" he said with a disgusted look on his face.
Blaise shrugged, "It's just what I heard"
"It has to be a lie," he assured. But Percy wasn't sure if Malfoy was trying to convince Blaise or himself.

The rest of the dinner was dull. They served something disgusting that Percy didn't even bother trying. Once he was back in his dorm he figured that he should study the material for the OWL's tomorrow. He didn't actually care what score he got but after what Valerie said he wanted to give it a try. To prove to himself that he could actually do it and make himself useful again. If he was stuck in this school for another year, he might as well put in some effort.