Chapter Two

He was aware of Inej leaping from balcony to balcony behind them as they approached Geels. And just as Inej had predicted Elzinger and Oomen were the chosen seconds. Inej knew the strengths and weaknesses of every member of the Black Tips, not to mention Harley's Pointers, the Liddies, the Razorgulls, the Dime Lions, and every other gang working the streets of Ketterdam.

Details like that weren't his job, it was mainly Inej's but he kept them in mind anyway. they'd be useful someday. Kaz and Geels made small talk while him and the other seconds patted each other down, searching for weapons. Jesper said 'Naughty' every time he would find a weapon hidden by one of the Black Tips. Niklaus raised an eyebrow at Oomen, picking out a small gun hidden in his jacket. Despite the rules of Parley Niklaus brought his weapons though not as many as he'd like, he'd gotten himself a suit, Fabricator made which allowed him to carry a certain amount of weapons that wouldn't be detected if he was patted down.

He'd made sure that it wasn't common knowledge in any way.  He forced himself to stay still while Elzinger searched him. He didn't really have much of a thing against physical touch. He didn't mind it when it came down to people he knew but he didn't like when people like Elzinger patted him down.

"All clear" Elzinger announced, moving away. "All clear" Big Bolliger declared, finishing patting down Geels.  Kaz and Geels discussed the weather, the suspicion that the Kooperom was serving watered-down drinks now that the rent had been raised. They danced around the real reason they’d come here tonight. In theory, they would chat, make their apologies, agree to respect the boundaries of Fifth Harbour, then all head out to find a drink together or, at least that’s what Per Haskell had insisted would happen.

But what did Haskell know? He may have been the leader of the Dregs, but these days, he preferred to sit in the warmth of his room, drinking lukewarm lager, building model ships, and telling long stories of his exploits to anyone who would listen. He seemed to think territory wars could be settled as they once had been, with a short scuffle and a friendly handshake.

Anybody whose been in the field recently knew better. Kaz knew better. While the older members of the Dregs were loyal to Per Haskell the newer, younger members including him kept their allegiance with Kaz.
They may have some semblance of respect for Per Haskell but he wasn't the one going out in the field with them, he wasn't the one that kept their coffers full and prevented the roof from leaking. That was Kaz, whether Haskell admitted it or not.

"Let’s be fair, ja? All we want is a bit more scrub. It’s not fair for you to cull every spend-happy tourist stepping off a pleasure boat at Fifth Harbour" Geels said "Fifth Harbour is ours, Geels" Kaz replied "The Dregs get first crack at the pigeons who come looking for a little fun" Geels shook his head "You’re a young one, Brekker" he said with an indulgent laugh. "Maybe you don’t understand how these things work. The harbors belong to the city, and we have as much right to them as anyone. We’ve all got a living to make"

Technically, that was true. But Fifth Harbour had been useless and all but abandoned by the city when Kaz had taken it over. He’d had it dredged, and then built out the docks and the quay, and he’d had to mortgage the Crow Club to do it. Per Haskell had railed at him and called him a fool for the expense, but eventually he’d relented. According to Kaz, the old man’s exact words had been "Take all that rope and hang yourself" But the endeavor had paid for itself in less than a year. Now Fifth Harbour offered berths to mercher ships, as well as boats from all over the world carrying tourists and soldiers eager to see the sights and sample the pleasures of Ketterdam.

The Dregs got first try at all of them, steering them (and their wallets) into brothels, taverns, and gambling dens owned by the gang. Fifth Harbour had made the old man very rich, and cemented the Dregs as real players in the Barrel in a way that not even the success of the Crow Club had.

But with profit came unwanted attention. Geels and the Black Tips had been making trouble for the Dregs all year, encroaching on Fifth Harbour, picking off pigeons that weren’t rightfully theirs.

"Fifth Harbour is ours" Kaz repeated. "It isn’t up for negotiation. You’re cutting into our traffic from the docks, and you intercepted a shipment of jurda that should have docked two nights ago" he said "Don’t know what you’re talking about" Geels said with feigned innocence "I know it comes easy, Geels, but try not to play dumb with me" Kaz scoffed.

Geels took a step forwards. Niklaus, Jesper and Big Bolliger tensed. "Quit flexing, boy,” Geels said "We all know the old man doesn’t have the stomach for a real brawl" Kaz gave a dry laugh "But I’m the one at your table, Geels, and I’m not here for a taste. You want a war, I’ll make sure you eat your fill" he said. "And what if you’re not around, Brekker? Everyone knows you’re the spine of Haskell’s operation, snap it and the Dregs collapse" Geels said.

"Stomach, spine. What’s next, spleen?" Jesper snorted "Skull?" Niklaus offered. "Shut it" Oomen snarled. The rules of parley dictated that only the lieutenants could speak once negotiations had begun. Jesper mouthed a 'Sorry' and mimed locking his lips shut. Niklaus didn't apologize, choosing instead to raise his middle finger at the Black Tips. It wasn't like he was doing any damage, these negotiations were doomed to fail from the start, no matter what the old man Haskell said.

Oomen's lips curled up in a snarl but he was stopped by a look from Geels while Kaz jabbed his cane harshly at Niklaus's side. "I’m fairly sure you’re threatening me, Geels but I want to be certain before I decide what to do about it" Kaz said cooly "Sure of yourself, aren’t you, Brekker?" Geels asked "Myself and nothing else" Kaz responded. The Black Tip lieutenant burst out laughing and elbowed Oomen.

"Listen to this cocky little piece of crap. Brekker, you don’t own these streets. Kids like you are fleas. A new crop of you turns up every few years to annoy your betters until a big dog decides to scratch. And let me tell you, I’m about tired of the itch" He crossed his arms, pleasure rolling off him in smug waves. "What if I told you there are two guards with city-issue rifles pointed at you and your boys right now?" Niklaus kept his face stony, it wasn't like he was surprised or anything.

Kaz glanced up at the roof. "Hiring city guards to do your killing? I’d say that’s an expensive proposition for a gang like the Black Tips. I’m not sure I believe your coffers could support it" he said. Niklaus looked up at well, using the guards as an excuse to try and spot Inej. He spotted her leaping from railing to railing and with a small, subtle twist of his hand the shadows wrapped themselves around Inej, making her practically invisible.

"Took some doing. We’re a small operation right now, and city guards don’t come cheap. But it’ll be worth it for the prize" Geels said. "That being me?" Kaz asked "That being you" Geels nodded "I’m flattered" Kaz responded "The Dregs won’t last a week without you" The older Lieutenant said "I’d give us at least a month under Per Haskell. Much longer if I get to take over" Niklaus spoke up, clearly the rules of Parley didn't matter anymore. "Smug little slum rat" Geels laughed. "I can’t wait to wipe that look off your face"

"So do it" Kaz said, his voice had changed and all the humor in it was gone. "Should I have them put a bullet in your good leg, Brekker?" Geels asked. "Stop talking, Geels. Tell them to shoot" Kaz said. Nikalus gave him a surprised look, of all the ways to die he'd rather it not be because of a guard of all people "Kaz-" Jesper tried, nervously. "Go on. Find your balls and give the order" The Crow Lieutenant taunted. "Fire!" Geels shouted.

•~•~•~•