Chapter Six

Niklaus knew the exact moment Kaz entered the crow club

Niklaus knew the exact moment Kaz entered the crow club. He'd only just finished a round when Kaz entered. He'd been gone much longer than anyone had expected him to be, and as soon as he’d entered the foyer, he'd been surrounded by people who were either congratulating him or asking for news on the Black Tips. "Rumour has it Geels is already putting together a mob to move on us" Anika said.

"Let him! I’ve got an axe handle with his name on it!" Dirix responded "Geels won’t act for a while" Kaz said as he moved down the hall. "He doesn’t have the numbers to face us in the streets, and his coffers are too empty to hire on more hands. Shouldn’t you be on your way to the Crow Club?" The raised eyebrow was enough to send both Anika and Dirix scurrying away. Others came to offer congratulations or make threats against the Black Tips.

No one went so far as to pat Kaz on the back, though. Laying so much as a single finger on Kaz? That was a good way to lose a hand. Knowing Kaz would stop to speak to Per Haskell, he crept his way up a few flights of stairs, making his way down a hallway with a closet full of odds and ends. In it there was also a grate that let him see into Per Haskell's office and hear whatever what going on in it.

When he entered Inej was already inside, she looked up but didn't seem too surprised to see him. Both of them used this specific grate to eavsdroop on conversions going on in Per Haskell's office. As he knelt beside her he he heard Kaz’s knock on Per Haskell’s door and the sound of his greeting through the door. "Back and still breathing?' the old man inquired. He was seated on his favourite chair, fiddling with a model ship he’d been building for the better part of a year, a pint of lager in arm's reach. Nothing new.

"We won’t have a problem with Fifth Harbour again" Kaz stated Haskell grunted and returned his attention to his model ship "Close the door" he said. While he couldn't see it Niklaus heard the sound of feet and of the door closing. "You should have asked permission from me to deal with Bolliger" Haskell said. "If I had talked to you first, word might have got out-" Kaz began but was interrupted

"You think I’d let that happen?" Haskell asked. "This place is like anything in Ketterdam. It leaks" Kaz responded simply. Niklaus could have been imagining it but he could have sworn he looked right at the vent when he said that. "I don’t like it, boy. Big Bolliger was my soldier, not yours" Niklaus stifled a scoff "Of course" Kaz said, but anybody with half a brain knew it was a lie to satisfy the Dreg's leader.

Haskell’s Dregs were old conmen and crooks from another time who liked to sit around and boast about what they did when they were young. Bolliger was one of Kaz’s crew. He was one of the crows. "You’re smart, Brekker, but you need to learn patience" Per Haskell said "Yes sir" Kaz said. The old man laughed "Yes sir. No sir" he mocked. Niklaus was very sure that Per Haskell was severely underestimating Kaz's ability to snatch control of the Dregs from right under his nose.

"I know you’re up to something when you start getting polite. Just what have you got brewing?" Haskell asked "A job" Kaz replied. "I may need to be gone for a spell" Haskell thought for a moment "Big money?"