C H A P T E R - II

S H A D E S

It was early in the morning, around six, when Devika's eyes opened due to the hustle in the house, beside her, Aarushi and Ayesha were still asleep clad in the blanket, both of their eyes shut tightly and lips parted as they drooled, making her chuckle. She first kissed Aarushi's cheek and then Ayesha's forehead before getting out of the bed, smiling widely. She wanted the day to end well, hence she thought of beginning it well. She slipped on her slippers as she got down from the bed and made her way towards the bathroom on the floor, it was the second floor where Chacha Chachi and Ayesha and Devika had a room along with a separate room for Jayas and Vansh as Mahi liked to sleep with her parents. The rest of the rooms were made on different floors and as it had three rooms, the floor had two bathrooms as well and Devika got into one to do her routine and as she came out, she made her way towards the courtyard where Dadi sat on a swing plating Mahi's hair, helping her get ready for school.

"Good morning!" Devika greeted everyone after she touched her Dadiji's legs to seek her blessings making her smile.

"Uth gayi Devu? Itni jaldi?" Devika's mom asked, as she cooked parathas for breakfast while Badi Maa and Chachiji were busy packing lunch boxes and water bottles for Vansh, Jayas and Mahi.

"Bhabhi kahan hai?" Devika asked, finding everyone else busy.

"Woh chat par gayi hai beta, paapad sukhane, tu bhi jaa madad kar." Badi Maa said smiling at Devika who nodded eagerly and ran upstairs reaching on the fourth floor where the terrace was. It was a summer morning and sun was already rising as Devika saw her sister in law keeping flat chapati like stuff over a plain white bedsheet that was spread across the floor of the terrace. She was dressed up in a simple, floral saree as she sensed Devika's presence and turned around to pass her a smile.

"Good Morning, bhabhi." Devika said, giving her a smile back as she sat beside her.

"Neeche gayi thi?" She asked, softly.

"Haan. Badi Maa ne hi bheja upar." Devika nodded.

"Kal raat ko der tak saare bade logon ki baat chali hai living room mein baith ke." Nandini told trying to give Devika the sign.

"Kis baare mein?" Devika raised her brow at her.

"Tumhari shaadi. Koi ladka dhundh liya hai, kaafi acha. Keh rahe the ladke ki mummy ko dikhi thi tu meri aur Shashank ki shaadi mein. Unko achi lagi toh unhone bhejwaya hai rishta ab." Nandini said, grinning at Devika.

"Bhabhi, maine aaj sach batane ka socha hai. Bata dun?" Devika asked, fidgeting with her fingers.

"Hmm, bilkul. Kab tab chupayegi Devu?" Nandini gave a her an assuring nod, making her sigh.

"Acha, yeh batao, tujhe pati kaisa chahiye?" Nandini's lips curved into a teasing smirk.

"Pati? Kabhi socha nahi." Devika lied, biting her lower lip as she gave it a thought.

"Jhut math bol. Kabhi toh socha hoga?" Nandini asked again.

"Kind, loving, caring, affectionate, good looks aur height ho toh very good, but personality honi chahiye ki like uske saath chalo toh log dekhe, aura lage. Waise pyaara but like thoda strong vibe honi chahiye na.." Devika spoke, smiling adorably, lost in her own dream land. Which made Nandini chuckle at her.

"Bhagwan karein, tujhe bilkul waisa hi pati mile." Nandini said before standing up and pulling Devika along with herself to the ground floor for breakfast.

________________________

"Sir? What should we do to that Mehra?" A tall man, dressed up in an all black outfit asked Atharva as he entered the huge basement area under his luxury farm house made in the outskirts of Mumbai.