Ch. 18 - Blinded by the North

Letter Addressed to the Baroness of Boreven

To my dearest friend, Gwen

I hope this letter finds you in good health, my dear, though I am fully aware of the dark cloud that hangs over your house at the loss of your eldest son, Rowan. As I know you are aware, I have never known the pleasure of having a child of my own, and so I cannot imagine the pain and grief that must settle on your heart. I've heard to further complicate the matter, that not a single bone of his was recovered, and might I suggest leaving a space in your bone croft empty then in his memory? It was a curious solution that my great-aunt used when her husband was lost at sea, which did seem to help with carrying on his memory in some small way. Oh, my Lovely, I wish that I could find the time to be there for the funeral rights, but I send along these small trinkets that you'll find enclosed in my stead in the hopes of your understanding as to why I must go absent.

Moving on to other matters, as the world continues on even in times of great grief, I have heard word that understandable unrest has the high courts buzzing over La'Trest and the capability of the Viotto line. While I know your husband to be a good and loyal man, I would suggest that you put it to his ear to loosen ties, lest your house get dragged down with their fall. I, of course, have always supported the Viottos and I see no reason for that to change presently. However my name has weathered greater political storms than that which is currently brewing, I fear that you and yours would become little more than collateral damage should more powerful names start to push their weight. Until next I hear from you, may the saints bless and keep you and your family.

With love,
Evelyn Du Fontine, Duchess of Recheston

***

Letter Addressed to the Duchess of Recheston

To my dearest friend, Eve

Your letter was a beacon of comfort in such dark times, and I cherished every word. Your idea was so kind and thoughtful, and I have already set my servants to the task. But there is a silver lining to every tragedy and while I will miss Rowan deeply, something in my heart told me that this would happen. He was too much like his father, and even now I fear for Emmanuel that he will not hear reason even when coming from me. He holds to his old loyalties as a carriage stuck fast in thick mud, unmovable. Now, please do not think of me poorly for what I say next. I mean it only in thought and not in earnest, but some days I wish for Reginald to be older so that he could take up where his brother and father falter. We've already heard talk of investigations into what happened the night of the festival and were not shocked to find our names among those being targeted. Emmanuel has assured me that they'll find no fault in his conduct, but I have sent our daughters to stay with relatives for fear that his confidence is misplaced. Surely, I know that he would never conduct himself in any way that was traitorous to the crown or the people of Lorellia, but evidence is easily planted and he has too many enemies for me to sleep soundly. Unfortunately, I must end my letter here, for more delegates arrive here daily from the surrounding provinces. May the saints bless and keep you, my friend, until next we speak.

Sincerely,
Gwendoline Dujardin De Saint-Pierre

***

Ardaik 16th - Tulot, Serellia

Artus was awoken by the chilled draft that breezed in through Flann's balcony, ruffling the heavy curtains and clashing with the heat from the giant fireplace at the opposite end of the room. The two competing forces made most of the stone room livable except for the occasional wave of icy air that broke across the foot of Flann's large bed. Each pillar looked like it had been carved from a small tree with a tangle of branches that formed the headboard. Flann was dozing half under a pile of furs and blankets while the rest of his exposed chest, arm, and leg were seemingly fine with being subjected to the cooler temperatures. Artus, however, was covered nearly up to his eyeballs, except for one foot which, after it had slipped out, was quickly pulled back into the haven of warmth beneath the furs. It took several minutes before he turned over and spied a fur-lined robe only a few feet away. He planned his move before slipping out from under the covers and grabbing it, quickly wrapping it around his bare form before he padded across the stone floor to a window.