Tasting the Good and Bad

"Don't be so stubborn, come on. Try it for me please?" Demi wiggled the piece of toast in front of my face with her best pouty lip. A strong yeast scent wafted under my nose thanks to the thick coat of Vegemite. "Absolutely not," I said, the smell alone was off-putting not to mention the tar-like color. I took another sip of my coffee before setting it back on the table and crossing my arms over my chest.

"You know Y/N this is the food of my people. This is one of the most popular things known about my country." She spoke in a dramatic Aussie accent. I cut her off before she could continue, "So what you're saying is that you are just another stereotypical Australian?" Her face dropped, and she placed the lathered toast onto her plate.

"Listen here sweetheart," pointing her finger at me as her accent became more prominent. I loved teasing her because it always caused that side of her to come out. I snapped out of my thoughts and focused back on her words, " There is nothing typical about me."

I just took a second to look at her, both my eyebrows raising, "You done?" She nodded and let me continue, "I have a proposition. I will try the vegemite if you try pineapple on pizza." I watched as her face formed a disgusted wince. "Y/N that's awful and you know it."

"I like it and if you won't try it I won't try that," I pointed down at Demi's breakfast. She rolled her eyes at me before sighing. "Fine you have a deal but we are ordering two pizzas for when I hate the pineapple one."

I was honestly kinda surprised she agreed. Demi always told me she would never try it, in her words, "It is a cardinal sin." "Deal" I held out my hand and she shook in agreement. I stood from my spot and walked around to meet her and the vegemite toast.

Staring down at the dark void that sat on the plate. I picked up the half-eaten triangle and examined it for a minute. "What does this even taste like?" I asked not sure what I was getting myself into. "It's a tad bit salty, and almost has a meaty taste." The last part of her sentence was not comforting. There was no meat in it so why does it taste like meat?

I slowly bit into the side of the toast. Demi stood there leaning against the counter as she watched for my reaction. I chewed quickly and tried to get the substance down so I could wash the flavor out of my mouth. I tossed the rest of the toast in my hand back onto her plate.

I opened the cabinet to get a glass of water and swallowed the rest of the ocean taste that sat in my mouth. I was not ruining my coffee with this intense taste. "Well?" Demi asked from behind me. I just stuck my finger in the air signaling to give me a minute. I chugged down half the glass before taking in a breath and turning back to face her.

"That should not be considered food," I said as I took another sip of water. "What? Of course, it is and it is delicious." She tried to argue her side but it was not going to work on me. "It's like someone went to the ocean and collected the saltiest water then made it into a preservative." Demi just rolled her eyes at me, probably thinking I was being dramatic. She then continued to eat her breakfast.

When Demi first started eating vegemite around me I told her she wasn't allowed to kiss me without brushing her teeth first. I will be sticking with that rule. I set my glass into the sink and went back to my beloved coffee. "I don't think I will be adding it to my breakfast menu anytime soon," I told her. "More for me then," She shrugged.

Later that night we finished the household chores we needed to get done for the day. It was time to relax and thankfully I made the decision to order our dinner before we were completely done. That way we were distracted while we waited for the food to arrive.

I was finishing changing into cozy clothing, as Demi sat on the couch picking out something to watch. I heard the doorbell ring and she got up to answer it. I walked out a few minutes later to see the two pizzas on the coffee table in front of the couch, along with some plates and napkins. She was up at the fridge, "Get me some water please?" I called out to her. "Sure thing baby," Demi answered.

I sat on the plush couch in front of the pizza, opening the box and smelling the delicious meal. Demi walked in with two glasses in hand as I put a slice of Hawaiian on my plate. "Are you really going to make me try that hate crime?" She asked as she took her seat next to me. "Definitely, after what you made me eat this morning there is no way you are getting out of this. You never know you might like it." I held the plate up to her and she reluctantly took the slice off.

I made sure to get a slice that had pineapple on the first bite. Demi took a bit out of the piece of pizza and chewed while looking at the slice in her hand. Her eyebrows knitted together and she blinked a few times while munching. I saw her swallow as she put the slice back on the plate. "I hate you sometimes." A smile grew on my face, "And why is that?" She looked at me, "Don't make me say it." I was not letting her get off the hook with this one, "Nope you have to say it." She let out a sigh, "Okay you were right it is pretty good."

"Ha, I told you so." I teased her then leaned in for a quick peck on her lips. "See and at least with this I will kiss you right after." I had tasted the sweet pineapple on her lips. She leaned in for a longer kiss. I pulled away from her, "I am hungry and you are distracting, so here eat up. Kiss me like that later." I handed her the plate with her already-bitten slice. Grabbing the remote I hit play starting the movie on the screen before getting my own piece of pizza.

I watched as Demi ate a second slice of the Hawaiian and then one of her pepperoni pizza. I had two Hawaiian slices and soon after I was cuddled into Demi as we watched the rest of our movie. It was still pretty early when we finished up so the two of us cleaned up the living room. I walked into the bedroom and got clothing together for a shower as Demi finished loading the dishwasher.

I stepped into the joint bathroom and turned the shower on so it had time to warm up. Taking my hair out of its high ponytail I began to brush it out. The bathroom door opened and Demi walked up behind me. She snaked her hands around my waist. "It's later I want my kisses." I chuckled and set my brush down before turning to face her. I lifted my hands up around her neck as my back leaned against the marble countertop.

"You know I only implied one kiss, I don't know where you got the idea for multiple." I teased her. She didn't speak before leaning in to kiss me. She made sure it was a passionate kiss that would leave me wanting more. I had placed both my hands on either side of her face. She pulled away and glazed down at me. "Fine, just one then." Before I could pull her back in for another kiss, she turned and switched off my shower.

"What are you doing?" I asked her, genuinely pretty confused. "Don't worry we will both get a shower together after I kiss every inch of your body. I just thought we shouldn't waste too much water." She stalked towards me and scooped me up onto the counter and went back to kissing my lips.

-------

I just wanna say thank you for the love you have been showing me recently. I appreciate it so much so thank you. Let me know your thoughts on the chapter. Also, I am curious if anyone here likes pineapple on pizza or vegemite. I know Demi has said she likes both when asked before. I personally like pineapple on pizza. I have never tried vegemite.

Love you xx

-Author