17

One of the neighbors said "It would have been nice if she was dead. How will she live the life ahead?" The relatives of the people who were dead attending the wedding were cursing Iman. They needed to vent their anger and Iman was an easy target to blame. Human nature is what it was called.

Altamsh, who was listening quietly, screamed in anger.

"I am to be blamed, not her. I failed in my duty". Osama, his brother, looked at him with surprise. Now he understood how brutal Alatamsh was.

The arrow that killed Azyad was shot by Altamash. Osama was a witness to that. When he took Imaan to the palace, Osama barged into his room and angrily confronted him.

"Why, Brother, why did you kill that girl's groom?"

"I never killed anyone"

"It was his fate. He should not have rushed to marry her. He was not supposed to touch what belonged to me."

"They were meant to be married. You forgot it was their wedding celebration."

"Those stupid bandits were supposed to attack early. I corrected their mistakes." Osama was very angry.

"How can you sleep peacefully after knowing that you are the cause of the death of so many people?"

"Accession to the throne is not easy, it demands sacrifice. The blood of a few people will not matter."

"I am going to tell everyone, a king should protect his people. Not kill them"

"Amira, isn't it? Her name?" Osama was taken aback. Amira was his secret wife. His love. He hid her identity to keep her safe. She was the enemy's daughter.

"I heard she is expecting your first child. Would you be sad if she...."

"She has nothing to do with your dirty politics. Don't you dare harm her?"

"You keep out of my way and trust me, I won't even care that you are my brother" Altamsh gave a warning in a cold tone. Osama was not afraid but he understood he cannot change the past and now his wife and unborn child were his responsibility.

"Please do not harm that little girl, Iman. She does not deserve to be your maid."

Altamsh was in tears in front of the public, "I am responsible for these casualties. I should have been quick. I failed to protect my people"

He looked around. Everyone was quiet. "Family members of the dead would receive compensation. The orphans will be under my care. Widows will receive state pension"

People were relieved. One of Iman's neighbors offered to provide shelter. She thought Iman would be a good bride for her mentally disabled son. Iman now understood why her mother kept her inside. Her mother knew the harsh reality of the world.

Altamsh looked at Iman." I want people not to believe in superstition. I, Altamash, will marry Iman with all the honor and respect she deserves."

"No, " Iman shook her head in shock.

" I know Iman is grieving and I will wait till her grieving period finishes. She is my responsibility from now and till we get married she will be living in my Basman Palace."

People praised Altamsh's generosity. " I have let you down. Please, I am ready for any punishment. I understand if you people want to step down as an Heir to the throne. "

"Prince, only you deserve to be our king. We will not accept anybody. Else. ". All the people shouted in chorus.

Finally, Altamsh achieved what he wanted. He reversed his image. Now he was a generous and pious king favored by his subjects.