2. { we are both }

Rumplestiltskin clenches his jaw, his eyes filled with fire. He looks down upon the sleeping brunette. Granny had changed her into her nightclothes and tucked her in. If he had not known any better he would say she was sleeping very peacefully.

But the way she was positioned and no longer breathing made him fear the worst. He had used a spell to search for her life force, which was still there. She was not dead, but he could barely call this state being alive. 

Belle places a hand on his arm to get his attention. He breaks his pointed glare to look at her. "Can we wake her?" Bags were starting to form beneath her eyes due to all her worry. When they returned home they went to Winter's room and didn't leave it again.

Rumple sighs. He knows that there was just one thing that could reverse a Sleeping Curse. "Just one thing, Belle. True Love's kiss can break any curse, even ones as tenacious as the Sleeping Curse."

Belle sighs, a wave of relief washing over her. She becomes visibly less tense as she heads towards the girl's bedside. "I'm so glad. It shan't be long until I can hold her in my arms again." She sits down besides Winter. Her hand reaches out to tenderly swipe a lingering lock of hair from her forehead.

The woman leans over the unconscious girl's body and plants her lips on her forehead. It was short, but tender and caring. Belle becomes confused, since Winter gave no sign of waking up.

Rumple closes his eyes, pain soaring through his entire body. Belle feels tears stream down her face. She leans forward once more. Her lips meet the girl's skin once again, this time more forcefully. Belle was pouring all of the love she had for the girl into that one kiss, her entire soul just to wake her up.

But Winter remained asleep.

"W-What's happening. Why does she not wake up?" Belle turns to Rumple, her eyes begging him for an explanation. "Can you try?" Rumple keeps his eyes lowered. He didn't want to meet his girlfriend's heartbroken eyes, nor the view of the girl they cared for so much being unconscious.

"It won't work, Belle," he replies, his words soft and tethering on the edge of broken. Belle shakes her head. It was not the answer she wanted to hear and not one she was willing to accept. "Why? We love her, Rumple. Why is she not waking up?"

"Because we're not her True Love. Not anymore."

Belle was silent for a moment, her lips slightly apart. She gently grabs the girl's hand and rests it on her lap, entwining her fingers with hers. "H-How-" Rumple steps closer to her. "The last she remembers of us is of the Enchanted Forest. Our final argument.. before she ran away."

"But Rumple.. you already lost me."

Rumple ignores the painful memory and finally dares to look at Belle. She stares forward at nothing in particular. He could see the gears in her head churning, trying to think of a clever idea that could help them in waking her up.

But he could also see the flicker of hope disappear when she realizes there is nothing they could do.

She swallows the lump in her throat away. Without looking at Rumple she asks him the question which he had asked himself in silence.

"If we're not.. If we're not her True Love anymore, then who is?"

Panic was spreading throughout Storybrooke. Fairytales run back and forth, trying to reunite with the people they loved. Everyone was too busy to notice the danger that was flying above their heads, tasked with a very important mission.

Pale eyes observe every detail of the town as the creature soares through the air in search of the right person, the right shadow.

It had expected her to be standing by the window, prepared for its arrival. For its rescue. Perhaps she had lost faith, but the shadow was not about to give up that easily. It searches the entire town, staring through every window.