1. { broken }

Sand flies up beneath the feet of the horses as two riders steer their companions through the abandoned wasteland. They seem in a hurry as they ride towards the old palace that lays in ruins, which was not that far anymore.

They get down from their horses just outside the gigantic gate, which was overgrown by thorns. In unison they hack down the thorns with their swords, clearing a way into the palace. The two riders entered the courtyard and found what they were looking for.

A pavillion, too covered in thorn bushes. Inside the structure stands an open casket, the lid long forgotten. On it lays a beautiful woman. Her luscious brown hair was spread on the cushion below her head. Her eyes were closed soundly as if she was just sleeping. 

She was dressed in a purple gown, which lost most of its glory in the years exposed to the elements. By the footend of the coffin stands a spinning wheel, covered in dust.

One of the riders, a brown haired male, begins chopping down the bushes surrounding the pavillion. He creates a passage large enough for him and his companion to enter. The man sheathes his sword. His eyes widen at the sight of the young woman.

He couldn't believe that he finally found her, after all these years apart. It felt victorious, though his heart still aches for the mission he was unable to complete.

The prince walks around the coffin. His hands gently graze over the woman, barely able to believe she was actually with him. It all seems like a dream to him. He leans in for a kiss when he remembers something.

He halts and turns his gaze to his companion. "If this works, we don't tell her everything. Not right away." The other warrior nods their head in respect. Prince Phillip stares longingly at his fianceé before leaning in to touch her lips with his.

His kiss awakens her with a gasp, breaking the curse that held her captive in sleep.

The princess's eyes meet those of her prince. "Phillip?" The woman's voice was barely more audible than a whisper. Her prince smiles at her, joy sparkling in his eyes. "Yes, Aurora." He too whispers, not wanting to break the tender moment between the two.

"I told you not to come after me. Not before you found who you were looking for." Prince Phillip chuckles, but the immense joy in his eyes fades as melancholy fills his heart. She couldn't know the truth, at least not yet.

But he should be happy he was able to save at least one person he loves. Phillip kisses her again. His companion glances away at the sight of their public affection, deciding to roam the courtyard.

Princess Aurora sits up. "How long have I been asleep? What happened?" She looks around the courtyard of her palace, her eyes slightly dazed. Phillip gently cradles her, trying to comfort his fianceé. "It doesn't matter. The worst of it is over. Now that we're together, we'll restore this castle. And our kingdom. As we dreamt, be here always," he says in a hopeful tone.

Aurora looks around her home. It looked so different from what she remembered. The flowers were gone. Thorn bushes were the only thing growing here now. There was nobody in sight, which worries her.

"Where is everyone? Why does it need to be rebuilt?" She sounds a little scared. "It's a long story. And you, my love, need rest," Phillip responds, trying to help her calm down. He could read the thousand questions in her eyes. Questions he did not want to answer just yet.

Aurora scoffs softly. "I've had my fill of rest," she responds. The princess tries to stand up, sliding down from the altar on which she had been sleeping for so many years. Phillip helps her off the altar, holding her gently in his arms. "Then come with me. Our people have gathered in a new safe haven. We must join them."