Chapter Seven: Oh Brother...

Start from the beginning

"As long as you have each other's backs, I'm sure you two can make GREAT accomplishments in the future!"

Mario smiled hearing this before looking at Luigi. He promised to keep a good eye on his younger brother and would do anything to keep him out of harm's way. Luigi giggled and placed an arm around Mario's shoulder excitedly.
"YEAH! One day, people will look at us and say: 'Wow! Those two will go down in HISTORY!! I'd LOVE to be friends with them!!'" Mario laughed along with Luigi as Mom came into the room with the birthday cake. Both parents looked at each other with pride as the boys played around with each other. It was true though. It was rather hard for the Mario Brothers to make many friends. Mario was okay with going solo. No one ever bothered him.

It was Luigi that had problems...

Luigi had a hard time trying to fit in his school and make friends. Everyone bothered him about the littlest things. No one could even figure out why that was.
As years would go by, Luigi started to not care about what they said... because his brother was always there to defend him.

EXCEPT FOR THE S P I K E INCIDENT...

"Mario...?"

"Huh?" Mario blinked a couple of times and looked around him, realizing he was, unfortunately, back in the present. Toad was walking ahead of him but was looking back at him in slight concern. Mario had just spaced out for the past 5 minutes.
"You alright?..." Toad asked in curiosity. Mario walked in silence for a moment before answering him.
"Y-yeah, I'm just... thinking is all..." He answered him, trying to keep a smile and act like everything was fine.

Although, it wasn't.

"Well, good!... BECAUSE WE'RE HERE!!!"

Toad startled Mario slightly with his excitement about this big adventure as he changed the subject abruplty.  Looking up ahead, Mario gazed at what seemed to be the entrance of Toad Town. Several beings that looked similar to Toad himself roamed the area, having a very busy yet delightful day.
This must've been some sort of nightmare trying to fool Mario because even though they were now in town, mushrooms were still every as far as the eye can see. Even the houses THEMSELVES were mushrooms!
"This way, Mario! The princess lives right on THAT hill!" Toad explained to him with a large grin, running into town hurriedly after.

The town was bustling with the inaudible conversation, hurrying toadstools running around with baskets, and several of them hitting coins out of what seemed to be magical blocks holding coins inside as if it were a never-ending bank. 
"Excuse me, everybody! Coming through! Got a big adventure going on so could you just clear a path for us?" Toad kept squeezing through the crowd in a rush, accidentally knocking a toad over and causing them to drop a coin of theirs. 
Mario seemed to be in no hurry at that moment. He appeared to be more interested in his surroundings. He even picked up the large coin off the ground, it being the size of his face and gave it to the poor red toad.
"Here you go!" Mario smiled delightfully as toads around him kept watching and looking at him in confusion and wonder. He even tipped his hat to them as he walked away. Toad seemed like he was having a hard time getting the crowd under control and out of his way. He suddenly snapped and made some toadstools panic. At least he kept it in a nice way.

"EXCUSE ME, EVERYBODY! COMING THROUGH!! THIS GUY'S BROTHER IS GOING TO DIE IMMINENTLY!! OUT OF THE WAY, PLEASE!!!"

Hearing that suddenly made Mario get back to his task at hand he quickly caught up with Toad, trying to tell him that that wasn't true. His brother was going to be just fine.

At least, he hoped...

"Just trying to clear a path. That's all I'm doing! He's gonna be fine." Toad laughed as he faced Mario and continued walking through town. He then began greeting other folks around him as if everything was perfectly normal all of a sudden. Mario kept following Toad as a yellow-topped toadstool walked past him with a large bag of water with a Cheep Cheep inside. Mario looked back at the strange fish as he continued walking by, wondering why the fish was glaring at him distrustfully.