"Do they all turn into animals?"

"No, the ones that do are called a corporeal patronus. Those that don't are non-corporeal; they can only defend against dementors and look like a large shield in front of you. In fact, many witches and wizards can't even produce a non-corporeal patronus. It's an extremely hard spell to manage."

"Do you choose the animal?"

She smiled. His curiosity was very endearing. "That would also be a no. The animal is a reflection of your personality. For example, badgers represent ferocity and determination. Badgers are also animals who tend to take on opponents much larger than themselves, which I think by now we know I tend to do." She laughed. "My brother's patronus is a stag, a reflection of his love for our father as well as being a protector of other's. My mother's was a doe, also a reflection of her love for my dad, as well as being protective."

"Your patronus is very fitting," he said.

She bowed her head. "Thank you. It used to be a European adder, a venomous snake that only bites when threatened."

"It can change?" She nodded. "Why did yours?"

"I grew into my destiny," Violet said, "I think it started around the time Draco Malfoy was tasked with killing Headmaster Dumbledore. He was only sixteen at the time, the same age as me. I was no stranger to death then, but the fear in his eyes and the tears streaming down his face made me realize that if Voldemort was going to die, then I was going to have to accept my prophecy and do everything I could to play my part."

"And now you must grow into your destiny again," he said. She looked at him with an eyebrow raised. "I can tell you're scared."

"How?"

"You are horrid at hiding your feelings." He smiled slyly. "Plus, Lady Galadriel talks."

Violet laughed loudly, throwing her head back. "She never fails to surprise me."

"Don't tell her I said this, but me either," he said, "I'm... not certain if this is my place to tell you this, but you must learn to be more confident in your decisions and abilities. 'Tis something I have learned over the years. If you cannot be confident in your decisions, why should anybody else be? You are a leader in this situation, now it's time to inspire confidence in your followers. I will be here to help you, but I cannot do that for you."

Violet sighed. "I can try. I am just very, very aware that my decisions are going to affect tens of thousands of people."

"And so you should be. Don't ever forget that fact. And while you should never realize that you hold the power to make or break their lives, focus more on how you can change their life for the better with your decisions." He smiled at her. A genuine smile at that, before nodding his head back to the cavernous palace behind them. "Now, go find lunch. You have an hour."

Violet bowed her head in respect, taking her leave of the Elven-king. He watched her as he left, taking note of how Feren stepped up beside him.

"She doesn't seem to have much potential," the respected guard said.

King Thranduil didn't take his eyes away from Violet as he spoke, "But she does, and so much of it. She'll surprise you yet, Feren. Mark my words."

Feren side-eyed his king. The pair had been practicing since early morning, and she never even landed a punch. King Thranduil side-eyed Feren back, walking away from the conversation to take his mid-day meal himself. Training the woman works up quite an appetite.

Walking back to his palace always gave Thranduil a swell of pride in his chest. His palace was one of beauty, grandeur, woodland, and safety. The outside areas, like the training grounds, were built into the surrounding forest. Tall walls surrounded the areas connected to the forest. He built these halls in the side of a cavernous mountain to serve as a fortress to his people, and they have, through all the darkness in the world and no ring of power - which he didn't even want. His people had flourished. Every time they had been hit through whatever foe, they had come back stronger as a people. Their numbers had been weakened, yes. Many elves have been slain in battle over the years, and many were beginning to hear the call of the sea.