Chapter 15: The discovery

Tsunade was in a meeting with the war council. "Does anyone know the status of the battle taking place at the borders of the Land of Grass?" Hiashi asked. "I had sent Shizune, Genma, Raidō, and Iwashi. Alongside 2 squads of Anbu to assist and tell us of the situation." 

 The battle had started around 1:00pm, and it had been 5 hours since Kakashi sent the request for reinforcements, and the radio silence had put many on edge, and add to the fact that enemy decided to attack the outpost when it was at the most active time, it showed how much the enemy was confident in their own power. The news of the war starting had put the village in a somber and serious state. No kids were playing in the streets, no businesses were open, no one in the streets. No one outside until they can determine the situation.

But the silence made it easy for those in the council to hear a commotion in the West Gate. Tsunade alongside the other shinobi council members swiftly got out of the meeting room to assess the situation.

When they arrived to the West Gate, they saw found Shizune and other medics on hand healing some Kiri and Uzu nins. She called the "Flying Thunder Squad" which were Genma, Raidō, and Iwashi.

Their faces grim as they arrived, distress rising in the heart of the Hokage. "Quick, did they win over the outpost?" Genma painfully nodded no, "Iwa didn't win it over" he said in a somber voice. "It's gone, burned from the face of the earth. All 300 shinobi stationed there, gave their lives defending that position."

"Is there any survivors?" Tsume asked quietly, unusual for the loud Inuzuka Matriarch. She kept hope in her heart, perhaps her former classmates survived.

Raidō spoke up this time, "two survivors were among the destruction, the general stationed there, Kakashi Hatake, and Kisame Hoshigaki. Kirigakure was able to send reinforcements before us. A squad of 3 fromUzushio, was taught the same jutsu we were, and was able to quickly transport them to the battlefield, it was there where Kisame sustained his injuries, and lost the platoon he was in charge of. For more information, please speak to Raiga-san."

Tsume nodded, and Hiashi put a comforting hand on her shoulder. Tsunade dismissed the squad, and walked to Raiga. After getting some more details, she told him that, he and his platoon can leave anytime they want. After their discussion, she walked to the hospital to see Kakashi and Kisame.

Looking at them, made her even more fearful at what was strong enough out there, to not only destroy a base, but injure two S-ranked shinobi's. The nurses there cleaned the dried blood off of both of them, and looking at them, Tsunade concluded that Kakashi is suffering from 2nd-degree burns, while Kisame suffering from 3rd-degree burns everywhere, and it looks like Kisame took the brute of the flames. She estimated that Kakashi would be up in 2 weeks, while it could take Kisame a month or more to be cleared for shinobi business.

She went back to the Hokage Tower, and started to compose a letter to send to Naruto, to inform Shikamaru and Chōji of the bad news. She hooked the letter to the message hawk, and it flew in the direction of Uzushio. She sighed, rubbing the temples of her head. 

"Saru, call Ino Yamanaka to come here immediately." An Anbu appeared at the front of her desk, "hai, Tsunade-sama." The Anbu then disappeared, and 5 minutes later Ino opened the door. She bowed "yes Hokage-sama? An Anbu showed up to the hospital and said you summoned me."

Tsunade steeled her emotions, she sighed once more before she began to talk, "Ino, there is no easy way to say this. But, Shikaku Nara, Chouza Akimichi, and..." Tsunade faltered as she spoke, she closed her eyes, "Inoichi Yamanaka, has fallen in battle."

Ino's eyes widened, as she began to tear up, "thank you for informing me Tsunade-sama" Ino said, holding back her tears. She immediately turned and left, and departed to back to the Yamanaka flower shop.