Professor Marquez paled. Scarlett hugged the little body that rested in her arms, making her feel that her family was complete. Her eyes inspected Althea, making sure she was okay. She didn't want to imagine what that depraved man would have wanted to do to her.

"This man will go back to prison, but I'll need your statement" he commented to everyone. "Now, let's deal with the other case."

Márquez blinked, worried. "Will he have to testify? There's a problem, we're traveling tomorrow. Could it be done remotely? If not, her parents will have to travel, because I can't stay."

"For the moment, the girl won't be able to leave the country, Mr. Márquez," Agent Michael looked at him as he spoke. He was about to continue informing the professor when someone knocked on the door and a lab technician appeared.

"What's going on here?"

"My client has requested a paternity test, and until we know the results, the girl will have to stay in the United States to prevent the possibility of flight."

While the agent spoke with the professor, Scarlett paid more attention to the technician. At that moment, the professor seemed like an incompetent who had once again lost his possible daughter, handing her over to a criminal on a silver platter. She tried to relax, but only managed to do so when she saw Althea's angelic face, completely relaxed in her arms. "What do you need?" she whispered to the technician.

"We'll perform a complete exam, if that's okay with you. I'll need to take a mouth swab and a blood sample," he opened his briefcase and prepared everything, while Scarlett lifted the sleeve of her shirt, revealing a too-thin arm. The prick made Althea whimper in her sleep and open her eyes, frightened to see the needle, but she was surrounded by Scarlett's arms.

"It's okay, sweetheart. It's just a test. I promise everything's okay," she kissed her forehead and breathed in the baby's scent. "Look at what a champion you are," she congratulated when the technician finished taking the sample and prepared the swab. "Now I need you to open your mouth, my little one."

Althea was still half-asleep, but Scarlett's calm voice kept her calm. She opened her mouth and felt the swab rubbing against the inside of her cheeks. Then she was surprised to see Scarlett undergoing the same test without crying, just smiling. "Are you sick, Scarlett?" asked Althea.

"No, sweetheart, it's a very important test that we had to take together," Scarlett replied, kissing her nose. Then, addressing the technician, she asked, "How long will it take?"

"Normally it's five days, but due to the unusual situation, you'll have the results in three days," the technician replied as he left the office with everything properly sealed.

"Professor," called Althea when she was more awake, but she didn't make any move to get up. She was still hurt by what the professor had done, and she showed it by furrowing her brow and puckering her lips. "I didn't like it, Tim. You said mean things about me."

Márquez didn't understand what the girl was saying, so he looked at the agent. "Althea," said the agent.

The girl looked at the police officer and said, "Tim lied to me. He's not even called Tim. He's a bad man who's going to prison. Furthermore, he doesn't know your professor, little one."

Althea looked back at her teacher and sobbed, "But you left me alone."

"I'm so sorry, Althea. I thought you were coming with us," the teacher replied, visibly crestfallen. Nevertheless, Scarlett felt no pity for him and continued to glare at him.

"We believe that, given that there are three days left until the results are obtained and the other children must return, it would be counterproductive for the girl to spend those days in a foster home, given the scare in the park with unknown persons," the lawyer began his request and then handed him a new paper. "My client wants to take care of the girl until the results are known. Scarlett is a famous woman and the girl feels comfortable with her, as you can see. Mrs. Johansson is a trustworthy woman and there is no possibility of her disappearing."

Surprise! Double chapter today! I hope you enjoyed it

Surprise! Double chapter today! I hope you enjoyed it. If you did, please let me know with a star and a comment. I love reading your thoughts, and it really encourages me! Thank you so much for reading. <3