pray you never cross paths

"As I'm sure all of you know by now, Hippogriffs have mixed features from a horse and an eagle." At Professor Howin's whistle, a golden-brown Hippogriff seemingly materialized from the clouds. It landed a safe distance atop a hill on the outskirts of Hogwarts, where the Professor and her class gathered to greet it. "Once you make eye contact, you mustn't look away. Even a single blink may offend a Hippogriff. They're proud creatures who demand respect. You must bow, holding position until they mimic you. Then, and only then, do you have their permission to approach."

Many classmates were extremely impressed by Professor Howin's and the Hippogriff's exchange of formalities, but you already had plenty of experience with their kind. You met Poppy's eye, exchanging knowing smiles.

"Next class," Professor Howin began, speaking over the sound of a screaming classmate who fell onto their back after the Hippogriff reared up on its hind legs. Never mind they were nowhere near it. "Won't be as hands-on as the ones you're familiar with, because we're learning about Acromantulas, the deadly giant spiders. I'm afraid it won't be possible to introduce you to one."

A feeling of disquiet accompanied the class on their walk back to the castle. There was a consensus of fear towards the magical spiders who frequented the Dark Forest, and you understood why. They attacked on sight, with sharp fangs and speed. You never once crossed paths with a spider that didn't mistake you for an easy meal.

"They're not so scary, I promise." A small distance behind you, Garreth was wooing a Hufflepuff and a fellow Slytherin with a grandeur tale about his adventures in the Dark Forest to collect rare potion ingredients. "As long as you keep quiet, with no sudden movements, and stay a safe distance away so they don't see you . . . On second thought, they are scary little buggers, aren't they?" The girls laughed. They'd laugh even if Garreth wasn't trying to be funny. A charismatic, if not slightly troublesome Gryffindor like him was a thoughtless candidate for popularity. "Just pray you never cross paths with the sentient Acromantula. I wouldn't even get near it with a ten foot broomstick."

You nearly tripped over your own feet. It would've sent you tumbling the rest of the way down the hill if you didn't manage to right yourself in time.

"You all right?" Garreth asked, coming up beside you. He stopped and steadied you with a polite hand on your shoulder, the other two girls going on ahead without him when Professor Howin called for the stragglers to pick up their paces. "Quite a nasty fall you almost took there. You can't be that afraid of spiders."

After the fifth year you had, everybody found it rather difficult to picture you afraid of much of anything.

"What did you mean by sentient?" You asked, getting straight to the point. The nice thing about having a conversation like this with Garreth was that he wouldn't start wondering why you had so many questions. He was just happy to talk your ear off as long as you'd let him.

"Overheard that, did you? Well, I'm sorry to have to disappoint you like this, but I can't say for sure whether it's a true story. I've never seen it myself, but I've heard loads of tales. And, get this!" He looked in either direction, as if what he was about to tell you was top secret. He probably just wanted to make sure Professor Howin wasn't within earshot. "I think I might've gotten close to its lair once. There were so many spiders. I could've sworn I was about to be eaten alive." He shuddered, brushing his arms off like he suddenly felt a hundred hatchlings crawling around him. "All I know is it's apparently massive. Probably twice as big as the biggest spider you've ever seen. It can speak and understand you, too. Imagine trying to convince one of those eight-leggeds why you aren't tasty." A thoughtful pause, and then: "Can't say I'd be able to."

You smirked despite yourself. Garreth could make a person feel better without even knowing they needed it, and it was an added bonus that he was proving helpful in the same breath. You couldn't say the same about the book you picked up in the Restricted Section a few days ago.