Wicked: The Taste Of Salty, Awkward Wind From The Sea of Tension

Start from the beginning

      “Does the fact that it’s all fake helps at all?” asked Sam, copying my position. 
      I blinked, twice, and pursed my lips. “I thought it did at first. But when Eva said he was trying… I don't know. It just… crushed me even more than before.”

      Sam gave me a pitying look. This was one of those times when she doesn’t know what to say—which was sort of amusing because Sam never run out of words.

      I shrugged when I got no other response. “Sam, this is no longer fake. It’s forced, but not fake. It’s as real as it gets. We should just be happy for Eva.”
      This time, it was Sam's turn to sigh. “So cliché, isn’t it? All of this, I mean.”
      “Doesn't matter.” I mumbled. “It’s all real. And that’s why it hurts the most.”
      I spent the rest of the boat ride to the main island in silence, staring out to the water with no definite point of view. Once, Sam tried to talk me out of my trance, offering her help in preparing for my date with Mr. Mysterious Buyer, but after saying my gratitude, I went back into my on twilight zone.
      When we reached the main island, Adam and Edward was waiting by the dock. Adam was in a grey shirt and khaki shorts while Edward was his usual ever glorious boy-next-door vibe. Damon and Eva immediately split away from our group after permissions as well as Sam and Edward while Adam and I really didn't know where to start so we decided to just wander off and try whatever that spiked our interests.

      “Why was your flight cancelled?” I asked as we kept walking among the crowd. Soon, the place slowly became familiar and I realized we were at the market where Eva and I first went to.
      Adam shrugged, his hands in his pockets as he looked away. “Stuffs happened.”
      Oh. I didn’t ask any further. Maybe something went wrong or Ryan… No, wait… Paul figured they still had to do something here so they cancelled.
      “So how long were you extended?” I asked, stopping at a souvenir shop and browsing through some abaca slippers. 
      “Just till tonight.” answered Adam, looking everywhere but me. 
      I suddenly realized he wasn’t paying me any attention. Or barely. Normally, he’d never let go of my gaze when we’re talking so why disregard me right now?
      “Hey… Hey. Hey!” I called, shifting him using my hand. “Adam, look at me.”
      He looked at me from the corner of his eyes without turning his face at my direction. “What? I’m looking at you.”
      I frowned.
      “No, you’re peeking at me.” I said. “Turn around so you could look at me properly.”
      He sighed, scratching his temple a little. He does that when he was nervous. Why would he be nervous just by looking at me?
      Then I figured why.
      There was a dark, big bruise right under his temple, at the end of his cheekbone.
      Oh Gods.
      The first thing that entered my mind was Damon’s bandaged hand. My anger immediately flared. Did this happen last night? After I left? Oh Gods.
      “Did he do this to you?” I asked through gritted teeth, holding Adam’s face in between my hands as I study the bruise. “Did he hit you?”
      Adam’s brows creased, sending me a bewildered look. “Did he what? What are you talking about?”
      “I can't believe this.” I shut my eyes, breathing in heavily. “I’m going to talk to him.”
      I fished my phone from my cotton body bag and scrolled through for Eva’s number.
      “Talk to who? Clearly, you have to calm down, Louise.” Adam said, putting both his hands upon my shoulders. 
      “Just answer my question, Adam.” I pressed as I put my phone against my ear, the ringing sound hummed as I repeated my question. “Did Damon punch you? Did he give you that bruise?”
      Adam frowned, seemingly baffled by my question. “What? No!”
      Just as if on cue, Eva answered my call. 
      “What’s up Lou?” asked Eva from the other line.
      “Nobody punched me, Louise.” chided Adam with a pleading look. “Who are you calling? Can you please not ask him about this?”
       “Don’t cover him up, Adam.” I said. “He’s being immature about this.”
       “He didn’t, please believe me.” He said. “Remember the pot that hit Sam? I came across it too. It’s really deadly, trust me.”
      I wavered for a moment, and eventually realized that I got Eva on the phone.
      “I’m sorry Eva.” I said on the mouth piece. “I’ll talk to you later. Have fun.”
      Adam had a wry smile on his face when I got back to him. Then I remembered how he explained himself. The same pot that hit Sam hit him too?
      I laughed out loud. “You two are so stupid! How can you be so stupid when I’m the clumsy one?”
      Adam took a step closer, the wry smile on his face had been replaced by a satisfied smirk. He was so close, yet he wasn’t touching me. 
      Hang on a second. Did I just want Adam to touch me?
      Jesus Christ.
      “You looked so adorable when you were all worried about me.” whispered Adam, his breath hitting my face.
      I felt my cheeks grew hot. What was happening to me? 
      “I… I wasn’t.’ I mumbled, turning around as I was.
      But Adam immediately caught my arm and in one smooth, swift motion, he spun me back to my original position, facing him.
      Adam had that spark in his molten chocolaty eyes. The way he had always looked at me but to which I've never really had cared for. I knew I have been so stupid.
      His smirk dropped and suddenly, he looked dead serious. “How could I get over you if you keep doing these things to me?”
      My heart skipped a beat, like it detached from its rusty hinges and fell down to my butt.
      After a few seconds, Adam’s smirk was back and I could feel my heart beating fast.
      “Don’t be so cruel, Louise.” He said, ruffling my hair before walking past me.
      I was left in shock. What did Adam mean? How could I be so stupid and ignorant when it comes to these stuffs? 
      Was I really hurting Adam? I thought he said it wasn't him who was doing a better job of hiding his feelings. Then what did he mean by the things he just said?
      “Are you coming, Louise?” yelled Adam. 
      I shook myself awake and jogged after him. 
      Adam kept his normal pace and I suddenly felt conscious. My floral spaghetti straps felt a little loose on me and my faded denim shorts felt tighter. Do I look good in this outfit? Or does it even look fairly presentable? I have to keep in mind that I was with a celebrity.
      Come to think of it, people here weren't even bothered by Adam's presence. I mean, he was pretty famous. It was impossible no one would notice him.
      I glanced around and realized that people were staring at us. Maybe no one cared about status here but they surely do have recognition.
      My mind racked through possible topics Adam and I could talk about, specifically something I could start without triggering another awkward situation. 
      Then something popped in my mind.
      “Wait, then why was his hand bandaged?” I cried. “Damon’s, I mean.”
      Adam hesitated, his stance immediately getting rigid. His reluctance was probably because he didn't want me to worry. He knew I would.