Chapter 12

McQueen started racing on the old dirt track.

"All right, all right!" Smokey said, "bring it back."

McQueen hopped out of his car and walked up to Smokey and Cruz.

"Lesson one: you're old, accept it." Smokey spoke.

"I told him that." Cruz smiled.

"He's probably losing his hearing." Smokey joked.

"He said you're old-"

"I heard him." McQueen glared.

"You'll never be as fast as Storm, but you can be smarter than him." Said Smokey.

"Okay, what do I do?" McQueen asked.

Smokey walked around McQueen and his car, "they said you were in a demolition derby."

"Yeah, it was terrible and I almost-"

"Are you sure?" Smokey asked, "because there's not a scratch on your car."

"Funny what a racer can do when he's not over-thinking things." Smokey smiled.

Daniel was sleeping  until he heard muffled screams. He woke up and gasped.

"Dad let her go!"

Storm was covering Chloe's mouth with his hand and held a gun against her head with the other. Tears were streaming down her cheeks in fear. 

"You'd think I'd let you just forget all about our plan?" Storm growled, "you've got some nerve Daniel. You must want her dead."

"This wasn't my idea, it was yours!" Daniel argued, "I didn't want to hurt her or her family! Don't hurt her! Please just let her go!"

Storm knocked Chloe upside the head with the gun, knocking her out. 

"DAD!"

Storm pointed the gun at Chloe, "raise your voice at me again and I'll kill her right here and right now."

"What do you want from us?" Tears filled Daniel's eyes, "she never did anything to you."

"She's McQueen's whole world." He evilly smirked, "I want to watch him crumble at the thought of never seeing her again. Then there will no longer be the older generation of racers."

"This is all too much just to wipe out the older generation." Daniel argued, "it's not worth killing her. . ."

"Then if you really love her, you'll leave with me and I won't kill her." 

Daniel looked over at the helpless girl, then back to Storm. He stood up and started walking towards him.

Storm huffed, "I knew you'd make the right choice. Now pick her up and let's go."

Cruz hopped in a race car to race against McQueen with.

"You wanna beat Storm, you need someone to stand in for him." Smokey said, "like a sparring partner."

"I'm not so sure." Cruz smiled nervously, "not a racer, just a trainer."

"Go ahead and gun it." Smokey said.

Cruz pressed the gas and the engine roared loudly.

"Oh yeah!" Cruz smiled.

"With no muffler you even sound like Storm." Smokey chuckled.

"Oh you're going down, McQueen!" Cruz smirked, "get that arthritis-riddled keister onto the track so I can put you in the old folks' home against your will! How was that?"