Chapter 6

4 months have gone by since the accident. Lightning, Chloe, and everyone were back home in  Radiator Springs. The town was dull and silent. McQueen was never really the same after his crash. The only thing he did was watch Doc's old racing tapes in his tool shed.

He was completely healed physically, but he didn't heal from the crash mentally. The tape reached the part where Doc had crashed like he did. It was his last time racing too because of the crash. McQueen looked down in sadness as he wished he could race again. He remembered what Doc had told him. . .

"When I finally healed up from my injuries, I went back expecting a big welcome. You know what they said? You're history. Moved on to the next rookie standing in line. There was a lot left in me. I never got a chance to show 'em."

He looked at the framed news paper article of Doc's crash. He heard the door open.

"Hey Stickers." Sally softly smiled.

"Hey Sal." He softly spoke.

"How you feeling?" She asked.

"Yeah, great." He sighed sarcastically, "really, really great."

"Been thinking about Doc again?" 

He sighed, "yeah. You know they told him when he was done. He didn't decide. I don't want what happened to Doc, to happen to me."

"But that hasn't happened." She responded.

"No, but I can't go out on the track and do the same old thing. It won't work." He replied.

"Then change it up!" Sally spoke, "try something new."

"I don't know, Sally. I--"

"Don't fear failure." She said, "be afraid of not having the chance. You have the chance. Doc didn't. And you can either take it or you can do what you've been doing. Sitting, in here. For months. And by the way I love what you've done with the place. I mean the monster movie lighting and the musky air freshener. Don't let anyone tell you you're not working on your form because wow, I have never found you more attractive. And now that I've been in here for a couple minutes, the stench. . .I'm getting kinda used to it."

"Okay, Sal. I get it. I get it." He spoke.

"I miss you, Lightning. We all do." She said, "mostly Chloe. She feels guilty for all of this."

"I told her that it's not her fault." He frowned.

Mater then busted through the door, "hey did it work Miss Sally? Did you set him straight with your lawyerly powers of persuasion? Is he ready to start training?"

"Well, Stinky-Stickers?" Sally smiled.

McQueen chuckled, "yes, mater, I am."

Mater jumped up and down, "Whoo-hoo!"

He and Sally walked to the video call monitor at Flo's. Everyone was there. Rusty and Dusty were in the call. They all talked and Rusty and Dusty had told McQueen that they wanted him to go to the Rust-eze Racing Center first thing in the morning. After everyone cheered and the call ended, he didn't see Chloe.

"Where's Chloe?" He asked.

Everyone softly frowned.

"She's in her room." Flo answered, "She's hardly come out ever since we came home."

"You mean she's locked herself in her room for 4 months blaming herself for my crash?" She panicked.

"It ain't no different than you locking yourself in the tool shed watching old racin' tapes." Mater replied.

"She can't keep blaming herself for this." Lightning spoke as he walked to the house.

Chloe was sitting on her bed playing GardenScapes on her phone. That was until she ran out of lives. She put her phone down and hugged her knees. She looked at the picture of her younger self and McQueen holding a Piston Cup at a race. A tear rolled down her cheek as she continued to blame herself for risking his racing career.

There was a soft knock at the door, "Little thunder? Can I come in?"

Chloe lowered her head to rest on her knees. McQueen opened the door and walked in. He sat next to her on the bed.

"You know it wasn't your fault, right?" He spoke.

"I pursued it." She said, "I talked you into it and I almost lost my dad."

"Were you driving the race car?"

"No."

"Then it wasn't you're fault." McQueen said, "my anger got the best of me and that was the result. And we both know how stupid my anger is, right?"

They both chuckled. He hugged her tightly.

"Please don't blame yourself, Chloe. It pains me to see you upset." He said, "and guess what? I'm not quitting my racing career."

She looked at him, "you're not?"

"Nope." He smiled, "Luigi, Guido, Mack, you, and I are going to the Rust-eze Racing Center first thing in the morning to meet with Rusty and Dusty."

Chloe smiled widely, "REALLY???"

"It's takes a lot to being your old man down." He smiled.

Chloe jumped up and down, "this is so exciting!"

She hugged him tightly, "I'm so glad we're going back to racing again."