Moving On

Nothing else happened that night, which in Lucy's mind was a good thing, given the fact this helped Maisie out when it came to the fears developed from sleeping in a car at night while the ghosts roamed, of having the house her mother bought have a dead body which to everyone but Ms. Pascal was a source for a ghost.

The next eventful thing occurred in the morning.

Inspector Barnes, the moment they left, was ready to move in with DEPRAC to secure the source, to investigate the house so it could be returned to the rightful owner, which he said was very clearly Maisie's mother, but that another group in DEPRAC was already moving and arresting members of the group who'd scammed her mother.

They had to wait and wait, as they did in the DEPRAC vehicles.

"Is this normal?" Maisie asked.

"Don't know," George said, looking at her with a massive grin. "This is actually the first time DEPRAC hasn't been lecturing us about something."

"And you're a reputable agency?" Maisie asked, shaking her head.

"Well, Barnes was willing to hire us," Lockwood says. "He typically lectures us about not following the book because it means more paperwork for him."

"And that we need to be safe," Lucy said. "Safer, I mean."

"Which, he means well," George said. "He's an adult who follows the book. Definitely no conspiracy theories about him."

"Ah," Maisie said.

And then—

"So, what color would you like to paint your new bedroom?" Lockwood asked.

"What?" Maisie looked at him in confusion.

"Oh, yes," Lucy said. "A pastel pink or a baby blue. Maybe lemon yellow?"

"If they're allowed to, you know, make that kind of change," George said. "Depends on if the building is a listed building or not, whether they have to keep—there's have to be filings with the proper communities."

"Something my mom's not thought of."

"Does that cover wallpaper and paint?" Lucy asked.

"Don't know," George said. "I've never been inclined to remodel a house, have I?"

Maise pushed her lips in amusement, then let out a deep breath. "Thanks.

"You're welcome," Lockwood said.

And then Barnes came. "I've some paperwork for you to sign, Lockwood.

"Yes," the head of the agency said, taking the clipboard, then pausing. "Wait? This much?"

"Is it not what you'd discussed with DEPRAC?" Maisie asked.

"Actually, I hadn't discussed any amount with DEPRAC," Lockwood said, placing the pen in his mouth so he could pull the cap off to sign. When he finished doing so, he said. "It's actually more than I was expecting."

"What? Do you tend to get paid low?" Maisie asked.

"Yes," Lockwood said.

"Well, now we can work on getting Maisie's mother out of our place," George said.

To which there came the collective groans.

Barnes lifted an eyebrow. "You don't need DEPRAC to intervene to get her out?"

"No," the three said.

Lucy pointed to Maisie. "For her sake, no."

"Actually, what is she doing here?"

"She's a probationary agent. You remember her father signing the papers that if she wanted to, she'd be able to come," Lockwood said. "You were very aware of the entire conversation between her father and me."

"Yes, yes I was," Barnes said. "And had things gone wrong, I would be testifying towards it in court, you know. We DEPRAC aren't out to get you agents, Lockwood, but you certainly don't make things easy for us."

"We get the job done, though," Lockwood replied.

"Yes, to the aggravation of every adult around you," Barnes shook his head. "And each time you're involved, I find myself hoping I don't have to discover we're going to be burying one of you. Got it?"

"Got it," Lockwood said.

"Wow," George said. "A DEPRAC agent that cares."

"I thought you said there weren't any conspiracy theories about him," Maisie said.

"Don't tell him that," George said. "He'll get an inferiority complex."

Barnes responded by taking the clipboard Lockwood was signing away, shaking his head. Lucy shook her head, but then Barnes popped his head in. "By the way, Lockwood. I am not helping you explain why you let the daughter go on the mission with you to the mother. That's on you."

"Yes, sir," Lockwood chuckled. "Not a problem."

"We'll drop you off a few blocks away, but good luck dealing with the mother," Barnes said, shaking his head.

"Oh," Maisie said. "I have to deal with her."

"Can't be as bad as a ghost," Lucy piped up.

"No, actually," Maisie said. "I think ghosts are easier." This resulted in silence among the group. "I mean, it is easier than dealing with my mom."

"Well, yes. This case," Lucy said.

"Kind of a toss-up on this one and the others, to be honest," Lockwood said. "She actually is what placed the case in the typical eccentric jobs we take on."

"Are we sure she's not a ghost?" George finally said. The other two agents looked at him. "What?"

"Not funny," Lucy said while Lockwood shook his head, trying to hide his delight. "You know it's not."

"I think it is," Maisie said. "At least, after everything I've been through. I need to laugh."

"Laughter," Lockwood said, "Is said by some to be the best kind of medicine, although I agree that it's not funny."

"Well, if you think about how it comes from George."

"Oh, yes." Lockwood chuckled. "That." He tilted his head. "I think we can all move on from this now," he said, looking up at Maisie. "Including you. Particularly you."

"Yeah. I think so, too," Maisie said, letting out a sigh of relief. "Although I'll still have to deal with my mom and her wanting to renovate this house, among other things."