Level of Crazy

Lockwood took a deep breath, pleased that George managed to find the information needed, particularly given how Ms. Pascal kept driving George crazy with how many things she moved in their home at the agency simply because she thought this a better place, or perhaps she simply didn't realize what she was doing.

He honestly wasn't sure, but he did know George was not happy with the neatness of the house being messed with as his fellow agent lifted his hands into the air, rubber gloves on them, looking as if he wanted to strangle the woman and looking like a mad scientist.

"Which, he kind of is," Lockwood thought to himself. "But I really don't want his genius to head in the direction of evil. I don't think he'd make a good, evil scientist anyways."

"So, as the agents were saying, mother, they have the information on the house, and they're going to move forward."

"I'm not sure I agree, though, " the woman said, resulting in Lockwood letting out a deep breath and throwing his hands up in the air in frustration before walking out of the room, not wanting to hear her reasoning.

But when he walked back in, he found out, as Lucy said, "So you don't want us to do the job because you don't have any more money?"

"Of course," Lockwood thought to himself, watching the look on Maisie's face, wondering if her mother had given her the last straw only for the other teen to remain silent. He let out a sigh, closing his eyes as he did so. "It's going to be a long night?"

"Looks like it?" George said, looking at him exasperated, his eyes begging Lockwood to do something.

"Even though the people you bought the home for are being investigated?" Lockwood said.

"That's not my problem," Ms. Pascal said.

"Mom, we can't stay here, and we can't stay in the car," Maisie finally said.

"Why ever not?"

Lockwood took a deep breath, not knowing what to think of the situation. He stood behind the couch as Ms. Pascal went through, "Wait? Is that something of mine, of my parents?" She looked up at him as if she hadn't been digging through some of his parents' old things. He let out a sigh before going and taking the box and carrying it into the kitchen. He shook his head. "Can't wait until this is over."

There was still the convincing her to let her take on the job, yet in the back of his mind, Lockwood wondered if losing her son was affecting her mental state, remembering what it was like to lose family. He shook his head, heading back into the room.

"Okay."

"Don't have money."

"And I get that you feel it's not your problem, the investigation," Lockwood said while George and Maisie glared at him. "However, it is the solution to your problem."

"You've pretty much said the law doesn't protect you," Ms. Pascal said.

"I'm referring to the fact DEPRAC is paying for our expenses on this one," Lockwood said. "It's covered, we're taking on the mission, but we'll be in the kitchen planning now."

And she stared for what felt like forever before saying, "Oh. Okay."

With a sigh, he headed into the kitchen, catching sight of the box on the table. He let out a sigh, shaking his head. George piped up, following behind them. "I'm going to be so glad when they're gone."

"At least you don't have to deal with my mother after all of this is done."

Lockwood turned, his mouth twisting into a smile. "Sorry, Maisie. It looks like George stepped into it again with what he said."