Reputability

"Lockwood, what are you doing with your feet on my desk?"

Lockwood didn't bat an eye, instead remaining sitting there with his feet up on the desk as he leaned back in the chair, arms crossed behind his head and his eyes closed. He didn't care that his feet were getting dirt on the desk, let alone messing up the papers that the person to whom the desk belonged so carefully put together. "Theoretically."

"We know there's no theoretically with your lot," Inspector Barnes said, sighing in frustration. "Which is why your lot should have adult supervision."

"Theoretically," Anthony Lockwood said, finally sitting up straight and removing his feet from the inspector's desk so that he was now sitting with his feet planted on the floor. "Let's say a potential client has unearthed a body in a house they're renovating?"

"I should hope that you lot would advise your client to inform DEPRAC of the matter."

"Theoretically, what if this potential client didn't want to inform DEPRAC out of fear of their ex-husband finding out," Lockwood continued."

"Lockwood," the inspector sighed. "What kind of mess have you gotten into this time? Do I even want to know?" The man looked around the office. "And how did you get in here without anyone noticing and telling me?"

"I have my ways," Lockwood said. "I think it involves the DEPRAC staff being amused."

"Theoretically," Barnes said, "I think it more of has to do with none of the DEPRAC officers like to deal with your agency, so they leave me with the headache of doing so." He paused. "Actually, where is Sergeant Wade."

"I think she went to go and get some coffee," Lockwood said, grinning ear from ear as if he wasn't pushing any kind of buttons with what he was doing. He tilted his head, looking at the desk. "Because I definitely don't see any coffee. No wonder you're so grumpy."

"Lockwood," Barnes said. "You're not funny, and that coffee thing...."

"And donuts. I think she went to fetch those...."

"There you are!" the sergeant in question said, hurrying up out of breath. "I was trying to find you to let you know Lockwood was here but that he was refusing to cooperate."

"When, Sergeant Wade, does Lockwood ever cooperate?" Barnes paused, thinking it over.

"If you want to crack a joke about me not cooperating with my associates," Lockwood started to say.

"Can it, Lockwood. You were saying you've got a client that's not properly reporting things to us because they don't want their husband involved."

"Theoretically, it's a potential client."

"And theoretically, where is this potential client."

"Theoretically not staying in the house with their daughter as planned because I theoretically reminded them they're putting themselves at risk of becoming ghost touched."

Barnes opened his mouth, then snapped it shut, looking right at Lockwood. "Say what?"

"I believe he just said his client was willing to stay the night in a house with a source. Is she one of those cultists? Because if so...."

"Theoretically, those cultists are allowed to live their lives the way they see fit," Lockwood said. "And theoretically, no, our potential client is not. By the way, Seargent Wade, where's the coffee?"

"What coffee?" Seargent Wade said, looking at inspector Barnes. "What is he even talking about?"

"You really should learn not to pay Lockwood any mind," Barnes said.

"You should as well since we're just doing our job," Lockwood responded.

Barnes glared at the young head of the Lockwood & Co Agency. "You mean to say you're just doing your job without following the book."

"Yes, well, adults can be quite the stinkers when it comes to the rules, can't they?"

"Lockwood, the rules are there for the safety of yourself and your fellow agents who, since you are the head of your agency, are your responsibility."

"You think I don't know that?" Lockwood responded.

"And you're responsible for the safety of your clients and," Barnes paused, a thought crossing his mind. "Lockwood, theoretically, given the fact they're not staying in the house they've renovated since you've kindly reminded them that could result in Ghost-Touch, where are they staying."

"Well," Lockwood said before getting up. "This theoretical client, they theoretically were staying in their car before they theoretically bought a place from a less than reputable real estate agent or whoever they bought it from because they can afford it, but theoretically, I've given you all the information you need."

"Yes," Barnes said as Lockwood turned to leave. "But theoretically, Lockwood, can this client even afford your services."

"Theoretically, probably not," Lockwood said. "But you theoretically know we're not like those other reputable agencies, are we?"

"Reputable, my arse," Seargent wade said, shaking her head as Lockwood watched him leave. "What are we going to do about this one, sir?"

"I'm going to follow because that's what he wants," Lieutenant Barnes said. "Why is it Lockwood & Co always attracts the odd ones? They really just need a few simple cases each week that will allow them to pay their bills. But no, they've always got to attract the complicated ones."

"Wait. We aren't becoming their adult supervision, are we?" Seargent Wade asked.

"Just stay here. It's Lockwood & Co, so I'd best handle the situation," Barnes said before shoving his hands into his pockets.

He followed after Lockwood, tailing him back to the agency, where he saw a car parked in front. Barnes took a deep breath, watching Lockwood tap the trunk of the bright yellow car, smiling as if he were doing the action for good luck right before heading into the house. Barnes let out a sigh.

"Of course. That's how it works, isn't it, Lockwood. The idea, after all, is to keep this one as under wraps as possible, so it hopefully doesn't get back to the husband. But if it does, well—there's the car, an unusual sight on this street and quite suspicious. Really though, stop attracting these cases in the first place, why don't you?"