Chapter 2: Underground

Start from the beginning

Luckily for you, the monsters that lived in the area weren't that observant, which allowed you to slip past them unnoticed. You stayed in the shadows, pressed against the walls and corners as you walked, always scanning the terrain for a hiding spot in case you needed to make a split second decision.

Soon you found yourself in front of a giant house. It stood at the centre of the cavern, wide enough to reach both ends of it. In front of it was a lone tree with a hefty trunk and naked branches. None of the monsters seemed to go near it, so you decided it would be where you would go next. With some luck, it might even lead somewhere else.

To your surprise it was unlocked when you tried to open the front door. The inside was mostly barren, with a thick layer of dust -normal, not monster kind- forming on top of every surface. Seems nobody has lived in it for quite some time now. It meant that you could easily explore with no fear of being caught.

You didn't find much at first. It was a normal house like any other, with a small kitchen in the corner connected to a dining area mixed with a living room. It held an empty fireplace and an armchair, along with a long dinner table near one of the walls. The other side of the mansion had a long corridor, filled with empty bedrooms. Nothing remarkable in them either. There was a mirror at the end of the hallway though, so it allowed you to finally see yourself.

You didn't look as bad as you thought you would. There was no dirt on your face as you had feared there would be from the fall. Your (h/c) hair was a bit of a mess, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. You ran your hand through the strands to smoothen it out a bit and then turned around to go to the last place in the house.

The basement.

You walked down the stairs leading to it, finding yourself in a long royal purple corridor with absolutely nothing in it. It seemed to stretch on forever, each step filling you with more and more unease. Why would anyone have a single, long hallway in their basement? Especially one with a sharp corner? You peeked at what awaited you once you take the turn, expecting someone or something to be waiting there to lunge at you. There wasn't. Just more corridor with an open door at the end of it.

You raised your eyebrow and made your way towards it, noting with confusion that there seemed to be snow on the other side of it. How was it snowing under a mountain?

The cold air hit you the moment you got close and you shivered, your clothes not made for withstanding low temperatures.

Wait... shivered? Angels had a natural immunity to temperatures, so it wouldn't distract you in battle. Unless you were to be burning or freezing alive, you were not supposed to feel any shifts in heat.

The wind picked up when you passed the threshold and you immediately began to tremble from the cold, your breath coming out in a vapour because of it. The snow seeped through your shoes and wet the fabric of your clothes, making you wrap your arms around yourself to try and conceal any heat you could.

You hated this. Hated feeling the temperature. Hated how it made you have goosebumps on your skin, how it travelled through your entire body in mere seconds, how it left you with your teeth clattering. You wanted to wrap your wings around yourself so badly, use their warmth for comfort and shield yourself from the element. You couldn't though. It would be too risky. The monsters would probably be weary of a human, but an angel? You'd be lucky if they didn't kill you where you stand, especially if they were to find out exactly which one you were.

You didn't look where you were going as you walked and tripped on a lone branch. You landed on the ground, half buried in the snow. If you were cold before, you were absolutely freezing now. You wanted to just... not get up. The cold was unbearable, you were aching everywhere and now your clothes were soaked with the snow that melted against your body heat. It was all starting to be too much, too sudden. Barely a day ago you were one of the most respected angels in the God's army. A general so known that the humans had given you a title. You were the Golden Wing, a ray of hope for any person that saw you and now? Now, you were nothing, just a mess shivering on the floor.

You wanted to go home. Go back to your old life, to barely acknowledging the fact it's snowing, or that there's a heatwave. Back to having your wings always out and proud, because them being seen was a guarantee of respect, not a death sentence. You just... you just wanted the aching to stop.

Before you fell deeper into despair, an image popped into your head. God, their eyes cold and their smirk mocking, saying that they knew you'd break so easily and come begging on your knees to be taken back. That they expected you to turn back on your brief episode of empathy the moment you were subjected to anything remotely uncomfortable.

It made you angry. Not just angry, it made you furious, because it might as well have been true. Your punishment could have been death, but THEY chose to banish you instead. They were probably watching you right now, waiting for you to start praying to be taken back. They did it so they could break you and you were not going to give them the satisfaction of seeing it. You made your choice and you were going to live with it and live with it proudly. If the price to pay for not wanting to slaughter innocents was this, then you were going to take it with your chin raised high.

You will not surrender. Not to the likes of THEM.

With newfound determination burning in your veins, you got up from the snow, wiping it away from your clothes. You were hoping God was watching now, so that they could see first hand that whatever their plan was, it was going to fail.

You took off running down the road, hoping that doing so would warm you up. It helped a bit, but your endurance was still depleted from the fall, so soon you had to slow down to a trot. Everywhere around you were just trees, snow and more snow. It made it easier to hide though, staying in the shadows of the pines instead of the main path.

Beforelong you saw the first unique feature in this part of the underground. A giant crater separating two sides of the land with a small wooden bridge to connect them back up. You weren't going to risk spreading your wings out like you did in that spike room and so you had to abandon the relative safety of the forest to cross the gap.

Before you could reach the bridge however, you were engulfed with magic. Bright blue and strong, it picked you up easily, as if it had taken hold of your very soul. You found yourself unable to move, body frozen in the grasp of whoever has found you.

"don't try anything human."

Your eyes widened and you gulped, the voice coming from right behind you. The magic tightened its hold on you to an almost painful degree and you were starting to panic again. You were at the mercy of a monster. You could die if they so choose. It all could end right now and you wouldn't be able to do anything to stop it. At least they thought you were human, which meant you had some chances of survival. Slim, but better than none if they knew of your true identity.

"why is your LV so high?!"

The accusatory tone did not help the dread snaking its way through your body. Even if the magic wasn't holding you still, you would have probably frozen in place anyways. Something so unbecoming of the fearless image you had built up around yourself.

When you didn't answer the magic lifted you higher off the ground and then you were whipped around to come face to face with the monster that grabbed you.

You were expecting many things, your mind coming up with different types of monsters powerful enough to use magic allowing them to keep someone in place, but what you saw didn't even cross your mind.

Because standing behind you, was a child.

"When all the love around you is dying-"

A/N

To anyone still confused about the timeline. It has been around 30/40 years since the war ended. The ruins are mostly abandoned because they were too small for all the monsters to fit in there, so New Home is already the main city where the royalty resides. They aren't ruins yet though, as they aren't locked away from the rest of the underground and monsters still live there without trouble.