24- The Travel Ban

Start from the beginning

"No, it's fine. I'm joking. I hope things turn out in the best way they can."

"Thanks."

"I should leave you to whatever it is that you have to do."

"Oh, come on. Stay. I feel like a grandma. Christian's finally asleep."

He scratches the back of his head. "Okay."

"Take a seat."

He sits down and Mia sits too.

"What are those eyes?" he says.

"What eyes?"

"You're about to lecture me."

"No. I'm about to ask you how you are."

"I'm fine. You really don't have to be a therapist for me."

"We're friends, Ollie. This is a safe place. I'm not going to judge you. Have I ever?"

"No. You haven't," he says. "Maybe you should," he mumbles.

"Okay. Let's play a game then."

"Why?"

"Because we can. I'll close my eyes and name five things that pop into my head. Then you do it."

"Again, why?"

Mia closes her eyes. "Beach, hands, Ian, knife, blood." She opens her eyes. "That escalated quickly. Okay. Now you close your eyes and tell me what you think."

He closes his eyes. "You're not going to put your dick in my face, are you?" he teases.

"Only if you want to," Mia says.

He opens his eyes.

"Just close your eyes," Mia says. "Come on."

He does as she says. "Okay. What do you see?" Mia asks.

"Painting. Just that ugly painting and nothing else." He opens his eyes. "Are you going to cry?"

"No." Mia clears her throat. "Why do you think that is?"

"Because I can't get its stupid sight out of my mind. No offense to you."

"None taken. I think there's something more to it."

"Therapists usually don't speak their minds."

"I'm not a therapist. I think that these things affect you more than you show and by bottling them up you are about to explode any second."

"What is—What am I even—? How am I supposed to let it all out? Should I scream? Is it going to help?"

"Not now because Christian is asleep. But if you want to, yes. Scream your lungs out. If you want to cry, then cry. If you want to hit someone then hit Theo and let me record it because he is twice your size and it will be funny."

He smiles. "Theo is not twice my size."

"If you want to talk, or drink or smoke or whatever, just let anyone you want know. I will be here with you no matter what."

"I know that."

"And your siblings love you. They will listen too."

"Oh, no. We're not like you and Ian."

"You don't have to be." She pats his arm. "Everything will be fine, but it's not supposed to be fine right now. It takes time and time is a bitch. So lean on other people."

"I have leaned on you more than anyone and anything. I'm fine now. I'm the one others should lean on. People lean on strong ones not the ones who can't control their emotions."