He leaned in closer, and I found myself silently begging him to close the gap between us. He seemed to want to do the same, and I thought he would, but instead he took a step back, standing up straight. His face turned expressionless again.

"You should freshen up. We're leaving in ten." He said, retreating out of the room without another word and shutting the door.

...

We winnowed to the House of Wind ten minutes later, to my request. I was willing to push down the feeling of unease to avoid flying with Azriel. Partly because I knew I would be in pain the entire time, due to the large bruise on my back that I'd seen in the mirror earlier. But I also did it to taunt Azriel. He had seemed unbothered by this, but by the subtle clench of his fists, I could tell my request had the desired effect. We'd still had to fly at the end to get up to the House of course, but I got what I wanted nonetheless.

When we arrived, Rhys immediately rushed to meet us, hugging me tightly. I fought to hold back a cry of pain at his embrace, my eyes burning. "Where the hell were you two?" He asked, his stern eyes scanning me. I opened my mouth, realizing I hadn't thought this far ahead.

"A lot happened, Rhysand." Azriel said. I turned to face him, but he was looking at Rhys, who was looking at him. "Right, well while you two talk I'm gonna go change." I announced. Neither of them said anything, no doubt still talking mind to mind.

I quickly made my way to my rooms, grabbing the most comfortable clothing I could find and changing into them. It was a relief to take off the tight dress, and to have something more covering on. I looked at myself in the mirror, hoping my face didn't reflect the lingering sickness I felt. My face was a bit pale, and there was darkness under my eyes, but aside from that I seemed fine. I sighed with relief, making my way back to the dining room where Azriel and Rhysand were talking.

I was taken aback to find Mor, Amren and Cassian there as well, all of them looking wary. Mor and Cassian smiled at me when I walked into the room, but neither of them looked like they usually did. Everyone looked tired, and troubled. Something was going on.

"Asteria. We were just talking about what happened last night." Rhysand said, his voice tight. I took a seat next to Mor, who squeezed my hand. "We need you to tell us exactly what happened." He finished. I sighed, the pain in my head intensifying.

I told them almost everything, from how I'd initially looked into Balekin's head and found nothing, to what he'd told me in the library. I then told them about meeting Balekin's father- Orion, they'd told me- and what he'd said to me. Though I couldn't completely remember that interaction, and I kept leaving details out. I also left out the wine, and what happened with Azriel, and the Wraithillum and the window, on purpose. Azriel gave me a look when I finished, as if urging me to tell the last two things, but I ignored him.

"So he admitted to being behind the attack in the woods." Rhysand sighed, rubbing his temples.

"That fucking prick." Cassian spat, his red siphons glowing.

"Yes. But he said he was working for someone." I added. Rhys's eyes widened, and everyone turned to look at me. "Could it be Amarantha?" Amren asked. I shook my head.

"No. Orion said 'he'. He said 'he is anxious to meet you.'" I said, recalling the words. Rhysand groaned. "And he didn't at all hint at what he wanted with you?" He asked.

I shook my head again. "He just said that I'd find out soon enough." Rhys nodded, turning to Azriel.

"And no one saw anything? The guards?" The High Lord questioned.

"I don't know what happened to them, but they were nowhere to be found. Orion probably got to them." He responded, his voice low. "I already have my spies on it."