Cheerleader Blues

Start from the beginning

She flips the chalkboard over and reveals this week's pyramid.

Nini Maddie
Chloe Brooke Nia
Paige Layla Mackenzie Vivi

Kelly gave an unimpressed look. They were doing an acro dance, but Brooke wasn't at the top of the pyramid. "Nini, because you won the title you'll stay were you are." The girl nods. "Maddie I moved you up next to her because you also won a title last week. Because of this, you two will be doing a duet!" The girls hug in excitement.
~

Nini: I can't wait to do a duet with Maddie! We've always been duet partners and she's my best friend in the whole world!
~
"The duet is called "Sisters" and it's cute and sassy. It's Jazz and a little bit on the easier side, however, it requires perfect facials and acting and you two can definitely pull that off. It's not your usual lyrical or contemporary dance." The girls squeal. They were beyond thrilled to do a duet and it was called "Sisters" which captured their relationship perfectly.
~
Robyn: Nini and Maddie's strongest styles are lyrical and contemporary.  Jazz is hard to win with, so I'm nervous. Of course the girls will be able to pull it off, but would it win against a lyrical duet? I'm not so sure.
~

Abby continued. "For this dance, I want you girls to imagine and embody a sassy, 1950s Hollywood star." She looks over at Robyn. "Robyn I want you to use some temporary hair lightener so Nini's hair could match Maddie's. I want them to match as close as possible." Robyn nods. "Yes ma'am, we'll get it done." "Good. I want it done the night before the the competition so it doesn't fade before then." The mom nods and writes it in her to-do list notes on her phone.

Abby turns to Layla. "Layla you will be doing your first solo." Layla smiles from ear to ear. "Really?!!" She squeaks. "Yes and it's called "I'm Cute" and it's well...cute." The little one looks towards her mom who was also beaming.
~
Layla: I'm really excited to have a solo! I really want to show Miss Abby what I can do and that I'm a good dancer like my sister!
~

Abby then turns to Brooke and points to her headshot. "Brooke, I expect you to help the younger students and I expect you to know the choreography first and be able to help everybody else." Kelly gives a small smile. Abby points to Paige and Nia's headshot. "Nia, Paige, you'll be doing the tumbling part."

"Vivianne, because you are new here and you don't know all our terminology, I'm going to work privately with you this week. So, you're going to do a solo at the competition this weekend." Abby says. "Alright girls, get up, get ready to rehearse." The girls all stand and get ready to stretch.
~

The girls began taking their usual acrobatic class, taking extra time to learn in order to do their dance this week. The moms all sat in their usual spots in the viewing room. "I need to know what it's going to take to get my daughter moved up on this pyramid. Why are Nini and Maddie at the top." Kelly starts.

"She actually pyramids the kids?" Cathy asks, slightly disturbed at the teaching method. "So Vivi was second line shit, and I didn't expect her to be at the top."

"There are lots of ways you can give out assignments where you do not have to put people in pyramids."Holly adds. "This is not the Egyptian era."

"So, why do you guys put up with this?" Cathy asks. "She's the best choreographer." Melissa says. "And I danced for her since I was around Nini's age." Robyn also answers. Cathy's looks shocked, mouth agape. "Since you were that young?" "Yep." Robyn pops the P. "I was practically raised by that woman." "That's insane!" Cathy says. "Yeah and Kelly knew her before I did."

"Abby doesn't ever want to hear anything else from anyone." Robyn said. "Yeah, she doesn't understand." Christi adds. "She's missing the mother gene." Cathy then goes on about how she feels about moms butting in at her studio, irritating the other moms.
~
Robyn: Cathy...I don't think she's going to fit in with us. Especially if she's going to go on and on comparing us to her studio. If your damn studio is that great, why are you here? Teach your own daughter.
~