Talk to Me Man

Plot: Morgan has feelings. Reid has been distant. Morgan notices some things

alludes to drug use and brief talk of suicide

nothing too relationship-y happens in this, it's kind of boring and a v short thing that my brain thought to be a good idea but whatevezzz... thx

wc: 859

-

"Hey, do you want to go for a drink?" Derek asked once he reached Doctor Reid. He had been going back and forth with himself, trying to figure out if this was a good idea. His friend had been acting very off. The kind of off he was when he was using, and Derek couldn't handle that thought, so he decided to take him out so they could talk.

Spencer kept his eyes glued to his table top though, clearly, to Derek anyway, feigning work.This frustrated the agent, but he did his best to keep a cool attitude, for he didn't want to be another thing troubling his friend. He calmly tried again to gain Spencer's focus, but he was ignored once again.

Derek let out a frustrated sigh as he tried to think of a decent way to talk to his colleague. It's a strange feeling for Derek Morgan, not knowing what to say, or how to say it. He has always been quite the charmer, cool and smooth with everything he does, but its different with Spencer. It's like he's trying to prove something to the doctor, and he hates it. It's like not having control over yourself. He tries to say one thing, then something else comes out and he finds himself blushing, and Derek Morgan does not blush. He just can't make sense of it... well, he can, but he refuses to believe what he knows to be true, up until recently.

The moment he realized the feelings he had toward his friend, he had found himself staring at him again. Spencer had been laughing at something, unknown to Derek, that JJ had said, and when their eyes locked, Derek could feel his face heat up as it involuntarily scrunch up into a rather bashful smile. Their exchange was intense and intimate; but only when Spencer had sent Derek a tentative smile making his eyes crinkle, and a warmth filled his chest did he realize what was happening.

That had been a few months ago, nothing has really changed on that aspect. Derek's feelings have developed, and he keeps telling himself that he's going to have a conversation with his friend about the situation, but he never does.

He almost did once, though. He and Spencer were lounging on Derek's sofa watching a movie, all of a sudden Spencer sat up and paused it. A light was clicked on and Derek could see the distress on the doctors face.

He told Derek how his mother had slit her wrists. The doctors told him that it had happened in the middle of the night, and she had been going through one of her "bad days" as the doctors would call it- even though most all days were bad days. Spencer had cried on his friend's shoulder, and Derek made him a cup of tea and held him close for comfort while he calmed down. And it was avoided yet again.

That happened a month ago, and since then he'd been acting strange. This is why Morgan had to talk to him. The last time he lost someone close to him, he had told JJ that he almost started using again, and that was just Emily. This time he had lost his mother.

Frustrated with the whole situation, Derek knocked on the center of Spencer's desk impatiently. Spencer let out an aggravated sigh, which only annoyed Derek more, because why would he be annoyed? Derek is the one being ignored.

"Yes," Reid gave, finally acknowledging his presence.

"What's going on, Reid?" Derek asked, concern flooding his face.

"There's nothing going on," he responded much too quickly, a hitch that didn't go unnoticed by Derek. Spencer continued without looking up from the papers on his messy desk. "What makes you ask?"

Derek shot him a look, he could tell that his friend clearly knew what he was referring to. "Come on man, I hate when you shut me out like this. You've been distancing yourself from every one, you've not been spitting out you random facts, you're just not acting yourself." When Spencer still didn't look up at him, he gave his last analysis, desperate for Spencer to know he was serious about this. He leaned in and lowered his voice when he spoke. "I've also noticed you have been scratching at your arms again." Reid's head snapped up, his eyes wide and scared as they searched Derek's face.

"I-I don't know what you're-what you're talking about," Spencer rushed to stand, and slung his satchel over his head to rest on his shoulder. "Sorry, I-I've got to go," he stuttered, and as he stood and all but ran away from his concerned friend, Derek noticed how he rubbed at his inner elbow.

He stood there, frustrated, confused, and more sure than ever that Spencer had started up an old addiction.