Chapter 1. Internal Conflict

A/N: I will be starting off in 1st person, but after that most of the chapter will be written in 3rd person. I like using first whenever I want characters to be better understood, to show what's on their mind, display their personality and yada yada. But I will be focusing on third in general when it comes to the story as a whole.

-GadPro

♦ ♦ ♦

Momonga's (Satoru Suzuki) POV

"I'm home." I let the words flow out naturally, as if expecting a reply from someone who would greet me back after a long day of work.

Except that I don't expect it, not really, because I know there is no one waiting for me back home.

When exactly was it that I started doing this old impulse of greeting no one? I can't even remember. But, why is it that I can't stop this unusual habit whenever I come home?

Well, no matter.

I walk through the entrance and remove my shoes while I shut the door in an automatic motion. Then proceed to remove my breathing mask and lay it on a small table near the entrance. At the same time, I'm already loosening my tie to give my throat the freedom it needs to breathe the fresh filtered air more comfortably.

As per my usual habit after coming home from work, I proceed to the kitchen cabinet to reach for some long-awaited nourishment. This time however, I feel like having something solid to chew, not just some pills or medicine. And so, I search for a few dried instant noodles I had saved up for whenever I get a deep craving.

A man's got to eat solid food at some point.

I was very busy at work today too, so not enough time to get a lunch break... so yeah, just my typical day as a corporate slave.

Let's see here... should I have the instant ramen with seaweed and chili? Or perhaps the one with added tiny dried fake meat? I remember I got at least one of those here somewhere...

Hmm- oh! Well, what do you know? I have one with both tiny fake meat and chicken! I forgot I had even bought this one. It was a bit expensive and a rare find after all, should I eat it today?

...Oh- what the hell! Why not treat myself to something luxurious every once in a while? Today is special after all~

I reach for the cup of noodles gingerly, until the sudden melancholic realization struck me again.

Yes, after all... today is a day to remember...

I can feel my hand squeeze the cup of noodles a bit tighter than needed, almost crushing it in my grip, as the sad reality crashed down on me for the umpteenth time again.

'It's finally here... the day of Yggdrasil's shutdown...'

In the end, all those months of anticipation did nothing to prepare me for this day...

The inevitable deletion of the once very famous DMMO-RPG of Yggdrasil. No... more than that, it means the deletion of Nazarick... my second home.

Nazarick is the very testament and proof of my friends existence. Everything we accomplished and build together is carved in the very stones of that tomb. All of my fondest memories in my life are imprinted there as well. They were the only friends I've ever made in life after all, and friends I still hold so deeply in my heart, despite the fact I haven't seen most of them in years...

Heh, I still remember the old days like yesterday.

All those times we all excitedly logged in after a hard day of work to wash away the stress by exploring and conquering new dungeons together, making us feel special and more impressive than we actually were.