chapter 24: backyard talk

Start from the beginning

"H-How did you get into my house?" Y/N hissed, her voice trembling with rage.

"I climbed the fence."

Y/N blinked several times, trying to process his statement.

"It's like ten feet high."

"I'm sorry, Y/N," Richie said, holding up his hands in surrender.

"I just wanted to talk to you about something important."

Richie's tired look was evident in his bloodshot eyes and droopy eyelids.

"Jesus christ," Y/N exasperated, almost spitting in his face.

"Wha-what do you want, Richard?"

"It's just Richie."

Richie looked down at the ground, his face contorted with shame.

"I know you're the only one who could convince Amber to be Ghostface with me."

Suddenly it was like the earth had stopped moving and Y/N lost all of her senses. The thought of Richie finding out their secret made her stomach twist and turn. She knew they had been careful, but they were dealing with a loose cannon, and anything could happen.

"What..what are you talking about?"

She was just playing dumb. Richie was way off. Their secret was still safe; he didn't know about the four of them being Ghostface already and had been causing all of this havoc.

"I met Amber on the Stab subreddit a few months ago and suggest, ya know..what if we recreate the Stab movies but better. Stab 8 sucked so much."

The more Richie elaborated on his reasoning out loud, the more absurd and pathetic it sounded.

Y/N tried to focus on her breathing, but her mind kept racing, imagining all the ways their plan could fall apart.

They had let their guard down, and now they were vulnerable. She made an effort to appear emotionless and icy.

"No," Y/N said firmly, her face looking unamused and her tears already dried up.

"You didn't even give me a chance to ex–" Richie began, but his words were cut off by the sound of Amber's voice.

"Y/N? Babe? Where'd you go?" Amber called out, walking downstairs and searching around for her.

"Amber! Amber, help!" Y/N shouted as loud as she could, relief flooding through her.

Amber ran towards the sound of her voice, reaching the back garden. Her eyes widened in shock as she saw her and Richie, thinking nothing good of it.

"Oh shit, Y/N," she muttered under her breath.

In a panic, Richie sprinted towards Y/N and grabbed her again, this time placing his arm around her neck in a chokehold.

Because of his overzealous use of force, Y/N was forced to choke and gasp for air. This deeply enraged Amber, a murderous intent increasing within her.

"Give me a good reason why I shouldn't kill you right now," Amber demanded, pulling out a gun from her back pocket.

"Go ahead, shoot me," Richie said in a shaky voice, tugging Y/N backwards, making her cry out.

Amber didn't hesitate. She aimed and fired, hitting Richie in the foot.

"Ow! Fuck!" He yelled, stumbling backwards.

But Richie's grip only loosened, not entirely letting go of Y/N. She grunted and thrusted the back of her head into Richie's chin, pushing him away from her. She scrambled towards Amber, pushing Y/N behind her, gun aimed up at Richie again.