13. Around the Glade

"HE WHAT?" Alby roared. Thomas flinches back slightly at the outburst.

"Banished her," Thomas repeats. He folds his arms and purses his lips. He knew Alby wasn't going to be happy.

"On what grounds? Where was Newt during this? What did the girl even do?" Alby clutches the bed sheet he was sitting on in a fist.

"Gally basically assumed commanding position because Newt was involved-" Thomas tries to explain but Alby cuts him off.

"Wait, Newt was involved? Okay, this is getting out of hand I'm talking to him myself. Where is he?" Alby waits with expectant eyes for Thomas to answer.

"Y/Ns room."

Alby furrows his eyebrows and shakes his head but stands up. He was confused why Newt would be in your room, but he went with it anyways.

As Alby walked out of the med-jacks hut, Thomas chuckled to himself. "You're in for a surprise, Alby," he muttered to no one.

Alby stormed up the stairs to your room and, knowing it was only decent, knocked twice. There was no reply from the inside, only silence.

Confused even more, he cracked open the door. When he met no resistance, he opened it fully.

This was far from anything Alby was expecting.

He folded his arms and leaned against the doorframe as he looked at the scene before him. Everything was starting to click together and the sight in front of him fueled his anger slightly more at Gally.

Newt had his arms wrapped protectively around you, your back to his chest. You had changed out of your shirt that was stained and into a soft white cotton one. Your hair was splayed around you and Newt had a small smile on his lips. You both were asleep peacefully with your blanket wrapped around both your legs.

Seeing you and Newt together like this shocked Alby, and he wasn't sure what to think. But, knowing that you and Newt needed the rest, he closed your door and went to look for Gally instead. He was going to get a mouthful.

Alby instructed no one to bother either of you, and the Gladers obeyed happily, glad to have someone with a brain back in command. The Gladers pointed out Gally, who was in the forest cutting down a tree.

"Gally!" Alby snapped. Gally stopped his ax mid swing and looked up to Alby. He straightened his back and wiped sweat from his brow.

"Yeah?" He questions cautiously, feeling the tension that Alby carried.

"Please explain to me what was going through your shuck mind when you banished Y/N and kept Newt in the pit for two days? With no food, I might add?"

Gallys expression darkens, but before he has time to respond, Alby continues.

"And also tell me why you put yourself in command, with nothing as small as asking me or having a gathering?" Albys anger was rising slowly, and Gally could tell.

"You were sick, out for two days, Alby. Y/N and Newt broke the rules and they had to be punished."

"You know the standard punishments Gally. And you know that what you did was not only unreasonable but also cruel."

"Well someone had to take charge, didn't they? Newt and Y/N broke the rules, and you were sick. What was I supposed to do, Alby?"

"Wait for me to wake up! Call a gathering if nothing else!" Alby shouted. Some close by Gladers turned at the commotion.

Alby rubs at his forehead, feeling a headache starting to form. Another question comes to him. "Why would you banish her but not Newt?"

Gally pauses, scrambling to make up an answer he didn't have. "C-cause Newt is more important to us? Because Y/N is just a Greenie?"

Alby breathes out deeply and looks to his feet. "I'm calling a gathering tonight. You're the subject and we'll decide what to do with you then."

Before Gally has time to say anything, Alby walks away to find Minho. Gally is left standing in the forest with disbelief. He shouts and pushes his hands through his hair. Frustration courses through him and he doesn't go back to working for a long time.

Minho is found with Chuck, eating lunch at one of Frypans tables. Alby decides to eat with them, grabbing one of the sandwiches that had been made. He sits with the boys and looks to Minho.

"So she did it, huh?" Alby asks a confused Minho. "She survived a night in the Maze?"

Minhos expression clears up and he grins at the boy. "Yeah, looks like we're not the only ones who can do it."

"True, but we had three people. It was just her out there," Alby counters.

"Hey, you were stung, that doesn't count. Technically it was only Tommy and I. We had to carry your heavy butt around the Maze all night," Minho states and raises an eyebrow, pointing his bitten sandwich at the leader.

Alby laughs and puts his hands up. "Fair enough."

Winston sits down next to Alby and the boys converse for the rest of their lunch break. Then, all too soon it's time to go back to work and the boys disperse.

***

Up in your room, everything that was once quiet was soon filled with your screaming. You were still unconscious but in your mind you were trying to fight off a Griever. You were having a nightmare.

"No," you mumble. "No!" Now you shout it over and over in your slumber, waking a sleeping Newt.

Newt sits up and shakes your shoulder gently.

"Y/n! Hey," he says to you. You jolt awake and stare at the face above you while trying to catch your breath. "Hey it was just a dream, love."

Your eyes flutter and try to process everything. You'd just seen Newt die in the Maze. But it was just a dream.

You breathe out a sigh of relief as you look at Newt. His perfect jawline was outlined in the hazy light seeping through the window and his deep eyes stared intently into yours.

"Are you alright?" He asks you tenderly. You nod. He strokes your hair for a moment before he asks if you were hungry.

"Starving," you reply quickly. You finally gave in to the beast inside your stomach that demanded food. You hadn't eaten since you were thrown into the pit. You needed food badly.

"Are you?" You ask Newt. He nods, and you were completely unaware that he'd only ate once since you were gone, and it wasn't much. He'd been too worried to eat anything, and he wasn't allowed food in the Slammer. You were both starving.

You stand and offer him a hand up which he takes. You lead him out the door and down to Frypans kitchen where he was cleaning up lunch. When he sees you both approaching, he drops the dirty plate he was cleaning and rushes out to greet you.

Unexpectedly, he dwarfs you in a huge hug. "Man, Greenie! We all thought you were gone for sure," he laughs. "But I guess you must like us or somethin' to come back here."

Frypan pulls away and you chuckle. "I guess so!"

Newt exchanges a kind glance with him and Frypan immediately knows what to do. He'd been trying to get Newt to eat before you'd come back, but it had never worked.

Within a couple minutes, you and Newt sat with Frypan, laughing at some of the jokes he told while you ate. You had the feeling, then, that things were going to be okay. And maybe for once they would be.