Desperate Times - Desperate Solutions

Start from the beginning

"come with me... you trust me? right?" Taehyun jumps to it without giving the young boy needed context. 

"I trust Hyunnie.." Kai speaks quietly. his voice soft yet confused. "is there something wrong?" he watches Taehyun's face, catching the worry, and flash of guilt in his big, shiny eyes.

Taehyun purses his lips. wondering whether to be fully honest.

He takes Kai's hand, helping his to sit up.

"I'll tell you In a minute, I just need you to come with me. Okay?"

Kai looked in Taehyun's eyes, searching for more answers than Taehyun is willing to tell him.

He studies the elder's expressions, the way his muscles move. He can tell Taehyun's hiding something, by the way the corners of his lips curl downwards.

He picks up on the smallest of nuances. Perking his ear to see if there's something different in Taehyun's voice.

Two octaves higher- afraid.

"Okay..."

....................

The water sloshed around. finally filling the bath to half of it's quantity, before Taehyun closes the tap.

He checks the temperature by dipping the tips of his fingers in the white, wide and deep tub. Determining they will need at least 3 industrial sized bags of ice to get it to the right temperature.

How to measure it in Kai's powers... that's something they will have to figure out.

"What are you thinking about..?" Taehyun asks the younger, seeing as he is deep in his mind.

Kai smiles softly, but there's hesitance in his eyes.

"I'm thinking... I'm willing to try." He nods slowly.

"I can stay" Taehyun rushes to say.

"No." Kai shakes his head. Looking down at his hands. "I.. I have to do it alone."

Taehyun frowns, his eyebrows furrowing together, forming lines in the middle of his forehead.

"Don't worry.. I think I can do it." Kai is quick to calm him down, not liking how worried Taehyun looks.

"What if-"

"Hyunnie..." Kai takes his hand. "I Have to try. For hyung, and for me too."

Taehyun breaths deep. Taking one more apologetic look at Kai before standing up and crossing his hands on his chest. 

He looks at the setting, the tub in the middle on the main bathroom. The towels and digital thermostat huddled together beside it.

They have everything they need to start. Now it's up to Kai.

"Just, be careful. don't ruin the house." Taehyun jokes to ease his nerves. "I heard it's the last one we got." 

Kai giggles. nodding confirmatively. 

"Call me when you're done." Taehyun says, and with mixed feelings, he closes the door. Sliding against the back side of it and sitting patiently.

He shakes his leg nervously. Checking the watch on his wrist.

3 minutes have passed.

5 minutes.

10 minutes.

His lips lip-sync the seconds, counting to distract himself from the fast that Kai must be struggling, and he can't help him.

15 minutes.

20 minutes.

"I'm done."

.....................