24. Mothers and Fathers

Start from the beginning

"Son?" Luca echoed, brows lifted in surprise, as if he couldn't imagine Matteo as anything other than a stone-cold hitman.

"You must be his friends from work?" Adele Costa's smile widened, and she opened the door further. "He's upstairs resting right now."

Val's heart dropped into her stomach, but she managed a smile. "Oh. Well, we won't bother you, then. Would you give Matteo these flowers for–"

"Fastidio? No, no. This is no bother," Adele chastised, waving a flour-covered hand at them. "It's wonderful to meet some of Matteo's friends. Please, you must come inside and wait for him to wake up! Sto preparando la cena!"

Dinner? Oh God. She'd imagined a dozen scenarios of what might've happened when she reunited with Matteo that evening, but none of them included dinner with his mother of all people.

Val started to refuse, an uneasy but appreciative smile gracing her lips, but Adele stepped out and began shepherding them inside of the quaint home like cattle. Val exchanged a wide-eyed glance with Allison, who kept her arm hitched through hers as they entered the small foyer.

Luca leaned closer to them and muttered under his breath, "He still lives with his mother?"

Val ignored Luca's hushed words, focusing instead on the short, hospitable woman that led them further into the house. To Val's surprise, the house's interior appeared meticulously cleaned and decorated. Family photos lined the dark wallpapered walls, and not a single speck of dust littered the surfaces. Either Matteo hired a maid, or his mother went to great lengths to keep their home pristine and welcoming.

"Uh, how is Matteo doing?" Val wondered, inhaling deep as the scent of Adele's dinner wafted closer.

"Oh, you know my son," Adele clucked, glancing over her shoulder and rolling her eyes. Affection swelled in the playful gesture. They walked into the kitchen. "If it were up to him, he'd be back to work already. Let me get a vase for those flowers."

Val attempted a good-natured laugh, although relief swept through her at the insinuation that Matteo had recovered well. She handed over her flowers and wiped her sweaty palms on her knee length sundress, while Adele placed the bouquet in a decorative decanter.

Matteo's mother glowed with warmth as she returned her gaze to them. "I can't say I expected many of Matteo's coworkers to be women. What are your names?"

Val paused, an introduction stuck on her tongue. How would Adele Costa react when she discovered that she'd invited Valentina Romano, the girl responsible for her son's dangerous injury, to stay for dinner? A kindling of guilt sparked in her gut, and she shut her mouth again.

Allison's grip on Val's arm tightened in the slightest, urging her to answer, but, before an uncomfortable silence settled over the kitchen, Allison spoke up in her stead. Val released a ragged breath as the dark-skinned beauty stepped forward, offering a brilliant smile. "My name is Allison. That's Luca. And this is Valentina."

Adele's eyes followed Allison's introductions, but, when they landed on Val, recognition flared. The whites of her eyes expanded, her eyebrows lifted in evident surprise, but not a hint of malice passed on her features. "Valentina? As in, Valentina Romano?"

Val nodded, fingers fidgeting with the skirt of her dress. She held her breath, preparing for Adele to erupt with anger and accusations. Not only had Val gotten Matteo shot by the Bratva, but she'd also disrupted his work as Leonardo's favored hitman, demoting him to the status of bodyguard, once again. Surely his mother would hold that against her.

And yet, Adele rushed forward with arms extended, wrapping Val in a tight, motherly embrace. "Ovviamente! I should have guessed! It's an honor to have you for dinner, Valentina. All of you."