14.

When Constance came around, the first thing that she was aware of was how bright the light was that was flooding down on her face. She slowly opened her eyes only to just as quickly shut them.

"She's awake!"

Hearing her mother's voice nearby made Constance open her eyes again even though she would have preferred to have kept them closed. With her eyes barely more than slits as she forced them open again, she saw her mother come to stand near her, taking one of her hands to hold it.

"Oh my baby! How are you doing? I was so scared."

"Fine..." Constance managed to hoarsely get out. "Where am I?"

"You're in the hospital," said her mother. "You were hit by a car, but this young man apparently brought you to the hospital and..."

"Wait. Young man?" asked Constance. "What young man?"

"The one that is currently sleeping in the extra bed over there by the window," said her mother as she jerked her head towards the left side of the room, which prompted Constance to slowly turn her head to see who she was talking about.

Currently curled up on his side facing her was a sleeping Beom; his hands tucked up under his head like a pillow. She was used to seeing him, but it was surprising to her that her mother said she could see him too.

"Wait...you can see him?" asked Constance as she turned slowly to look back at her mother.

"Of course I can! What kind of silly question is that?" asked her mother with a tsk. "It must be your medication talking still. He apparently saved your life and has been by your side ever since."

Constance's eyes misted with tears as she turned back to look at Beom, noticing that both of his wrists were exposed as he peacefully laid sleeping in the extra bed. There was no bracelet on either wrist. He had chosen to be visible again.

"Do you know who he is?" asked her mother as Constance nodded her head ever so slightly.

Constance was about to say his name in an attempt to get his attention and wake him up, but that wasn't necessary. It was then that Beom decided to slowly open his eyes and look at her. The two of them locked eyes with each other but didn't say anything for a moment. It left Constance's mother letting her gaze volley back and forth between the two of them as she waited for them to say something to each other.

"Perhaps I should give you two a minute alone. I suppose I should go get a doctor at any rate," she remarked as she looked at Constance for a moment more before slipping out of the room.

"What are you doing here?" asked Constance when the door to her room shut.

Beom didn't say anything as he moved to sit up on the bed, letting his legs hang off the edge as his gaze stayed on her.

"You got into an accident. Don't you remember?"

"I do, but I...I thought you weren't going to talk to me anymore."

"I'm sorry about that," he said. "I was upset you hid that from me, but I went overboard with my anger. I shouldn't have treated you the way that I did."

Constance watched him look away from her as he apologized, fiddling with his hands like some sort of nervous habit.

"You took off the bracelet."

He nodded his head while still keeping his gaze trained down at his hands.

"I listened to what you had to say that last time you came to visit me at my camper van. Even though I didn't want to listen, you had a valid point. It's time I stopped hiding. It doesn't matter if I'm an enigma. There are people that are still in my corner regardless."

'Like me,' thought Constance, but found her lips not saying the words as she watched Beom lift his head again to look at her.

"How are you doing?"

"I'm alive," she said, which caused a weak smile to cross Beom's face.

"Well, that's a good start," he said as his eyes flicked towards the door as it opened again. A doctor came in followed by Constance's mother.

The doctor moved over to Constance's bedside and began to examine her. The entire time, Beom stayed seated on the edge of the opposite bed. Constance could see her mother go over to him while the doctor examined her and hoped that Beom wouldn't shut down and be standoffish. Thankfully she saw her mother and him engaging in small talk as the doctor finished his check-up of her.

"She is okay and will make a full recovery to health after being given some bedrest," announced the doctor as he turned to look at her mother and Beom. "She'll probably be able to be discharged in a few days if everything continues to look good."

"Oh, thank you, doctor!" said Constance's mother as the doctor nodded, excusing himself from the room to go check on another patient.

No sooner had the doctor left than a rap came at the doorway. All three of them turned their gaze towards the door to see Darla standing there. She had a vase of flowers in her hands that was currently blocking her view of Beom and where he sat. Constance could see Beom start to panic. Not able to get out of her bed currently, she moved to hold out a hand towards him. Beom looked over at the outstretched hand for a moment before he got up from the bed to grab her hand; their fingers lacing together. It was their quiet way of communicating to each other that everything was going to be okay. Constance's mother noticed the action but opted not to say anything at that point in time.

"I am sorry that I didn't get to come check on you sooner," said Darla as she stepped into the room. "I just wanted to be able to pick up some flowers first and I..."

Darla stopped talking as she brought the flowers away from her face to see Beom standing by Constance's side; their hands holding one another's. Constance watched Darla's face as it morphed from one of sympathy to one of shock and utter surprise. Soon Darla was blinking back tears as she set the vase of flowers down.

"Beom?"

Beom didn't say anything as he gave Constance's hand a squeeze before dropping it. He moved to walk over to his adoptive mother, pausing when he was a few steps away from her.

"I'm sorry I..."

Beom's apology was cut off as Darla leaned forward to tug him close, hugging him tightly to her as she began to cry into the shoulder of his leather jacket.

"You are alive! I was so worried about you! I missed you so much!"

Beom moved to wrap his arms in a hug about her in return as he brought up one hand to soothingly rub her back.

"I'm sorry I made you worry," he whispered. "I promise I won't do that ever again. I'm home now and I promise I'm here to stay."