Chapter Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"Agreed," she said, watching the wolf trot happily around the stone circle.

"Let's see what sadness does."

"Must we?"

"You should know all the arrows in your quiver."

She closed her eyes again and tried to think about the last time she'd felt sad. "Not scared," she whispered to herself.

She remembered Simon curled up, back against a log.

"Is father going to come back?" he'd asked.

Constance thought about lying to him. "I don't know."

He'd held his watch tightly in his fist, and he'd looked so small.

"I'll take care of you, Simon. Don't worry." He'd nodded.

Her heart was heavy inside her. She didn't know if she'd ever see her father again. Was unsure if he was even still alive. Their army checks had stopped coming a long time ago. She hadn't lied when she'd told Mary she hoped her father would walk her down the aisle, but now she'd be happy just to hug Gran and Mother again.

Mary came unbidden to her mind.

Her friendship had been a lie. She had pretended to know Constance, pretended to love her. It had all been a lie, all the gifts a trap.

Claws tore at the inside of her chest. It was happening again. Simon was being dropped into the arena and they were holding her back. He was so small in there all alone, and Mary was just standing there. She was letting it happen.

Constance couldn't breathe.

The vampire was looking at her. He was asking her to help him and she couldn't. She couldn't help him. All she could do was save Simon. She'd promised her brother she'd take care of him, but the vampire was looking at her with trust. He understood they were both captives. They were kindred spirits.

His head rolled across the arena.

Simon was screaming.

Constance.

The vampire was staring at her, his eyes lifeless, black blood was spreading under his body.

Simon was screaming.

Constance. "Constance!"

She was standing in the stone circle, overcast sun shining down on her.

Human Hugh was cupping both sides of her face.

"Come back Constance," he said. There were tears on his face.

She sucked in a breath and then another and another. Blinked up at him. He released a long breath.

"That was unexpected," Carlson said.

"I've never felt anything like that," Hugh said, wiping his face. He rested his forehead on her's "She was never worthy of your friendship."

"I'm sorry," she said, realizing what must have happened.

"It's my fault," Carlson said. "I didn't realize how powerful your emotions would be. You got trapped, I'm afraid. Hugh shifted back and pulled you out."

She felt foolish. It shouldn't be that hard to manage her own damn emotions.

"We'll do something else today," Carlson said. "Hugh will shift and hide and we'll see if you can locate him, sensing his emotions."

She nodded. She was still looking at Hugh, his golden eyes helping to keep her pinned to the actual present.

"Um, close your eyes," he said.