I knew how to drive, kind of, though I'd never had a car. This was my first real car. I always walked because everything was within walking distance from my house, but now that we were out in the middle of nowhere, the car was the only way for me to get into town if I wanted to get out of the house. Grabbing my things, I walked out of the door and let the chilly air brush against me. Thank god I had worn long pants overalls over the paint stained t-shirt.

"Anna!" Gracie nearly launched herself at me the moment she had seen me. She was wearing an oversized sweater that had valentine day hearts all over it with a pair of ripped jeans, and space buns that sat at the top of her head despite the short length of her hair.

"I missed you," I was eating myself up with guilt as I flung myself into her arms, hoping that I didn't need to fall to my knees and beg her to forgive me for being such a shit friend the last few months. "How have you been?" I haven't seen you in forever, was lingering at the tip of my tongue, but I swallowed the words and they cut my insides on the way down.

"I've been great, things with Pete have been great, everything is just–" She pulled from the hug, giving me a large smile before it faltered, her hands rubbing my shoulders in a pity comfort, "How are you? Are you okay?"

"I'm okay, I really am," I wavered, cupping her cheek with an awed smile and a lying nod, "I'm just so happy to see you."

"You're glowing!" She chirped, "You look really good, it's good to see you healthy."

"I feel healthy, I feel great." I somewhat deadpanned with a faltering smile that fell, "Come on, let's go before I freeze out here."

"I've been waiting for you to show me your new car," Gracie teased as we walked towards the car, "And Harry bought this for you?"

"Yeah..." I blushed at the thought. I wasn't used to people showering me in gifts, Harry was one for doing that. I still hadn't got used to that.

"All I'm getting is flowers," Gracie propped the door open as we climbed into the car, "Maybe if I keep Pete around I can get one of these."

"How are you and Pete?" I clicked my buckle then turned the car on, the radio hummed through the speakers and I plugged my phone up to the bluetooth and shuffled my playlist.

"We are really good, I adore him," She sighed with a smile, "He's the best boyfriend I'd ever had, to be honest."

"I'm really glad that you guys are getting along," I reversed out of the driveway, then started down the road, "I'm really happy to see that you're doing okay, really. I was kinda worried after..." I swallowed my words. Why did everything in our lives have to be so dark?

"Michael will never be forgotten, Pete knows that. I still have a framed photo of me and him on my nightstand. I want to remember him as he used to be, you know?" Gracie picked at her nails, "And really, Pete has been amazing through all of this. He really understands and he's not the type to flip out over having my ex on my nightstand."

"Yeah..." I swallowed, "Do you still talk to Zayn at all?"

"Zayn?!" Gracie nearly barked with a laugh, "God, it's been a long time since I'd talked to him. I don't even know what he's doing nowadays."

"Well, um, the last time I saw him he told me he loved me and then I never saw him again," I whispered, trying to keep my eyes on the road with steady hands on the wheel, "It's my fault. Like, I really wanted to keep our friendship leveled, but me and him keep fading in and out. It's just a lot, I guess."

"It was obvious that he loved you, Anna. Anyone could have seen that." She said matter of fact.

At least one of us saw that.