✔️Chapter 7 (Handkerchief)

Chapter 7

Astherielle's POV

I don't know whether to face or avoid this person. I am intimidated by his presence, which has only intensified with his recent words. Can he really read me? Am I afraid of him or just being challenged? I'm not sure... Maybe... I'm just being cautious, that's why I'm acting this way.

Who would have thought he would follow me here just to talk to me and criticize me?

And oh yeah, he told me to stay after class earlier because he said we had something important to discuss. I completely forgot about it, without any jokes or excuses, because all I wanted was to leave that small, overcrowded room. I'm still not used to being around so many people, in a noisy environment, and feeling like everyone's eyes are on me even though it's just my imagination.

"Y-Yes?" I stuttered.

"Hmmm... 'Yes'? Too much politeness... Huh... Sir. That's what you should call me so it doesn't sound too... old in your hearing."

I pursed my lips again. I am not used to interacting with people. I wasn't brought up that way, but I learned to respect others because of my Mama, who is older than me. There was never an opportunity for me to talk to her without saying "po" or "opo". She didn't teach me to be polite, but she also didn't teach me to be rude.

"This is really just how I am, sir... I'm sorry..."

I looked away from his gaze after saying that. There was more to it, but did he really need to know everything? There was no reason for me to go into detail about why I am like this, why I am an introvert, and why it seems like I still can't feel the outside world. Only my mind and I are aware of what has happened to me in the past and what is happening to me now.

"I'm not used to talking to people..."

The pause I intended to make became a literal period. I found myself returning his gaze. My eyes widened slightly as I saw how attentive he was to listening and looking at me. I took two consecutive swallows again as a result of the discomfort. This was the first time I experienced someone being interested in listening to me. The fact that he was a man added to my discomfort.

His eyebrows furrowed while a faint smile played on his lips, sometimes becoming a somewhat playful grin. I'm not sure, but it seemed like it.

"I m-mean... to someone not very familiar..." I made an excuse, although it should have been "to a man."

"Oh..." he chuckled, widening his smile. His eyebrows separated as he smiled. "Didn't I introduce myself to you earlier? Miss Zuluetevo, am I still a stranger to you?"

"Huh?" I was left speechless again. I just remembered now that he introduced himself to me earlier. Again, he wouldn't understand why I suddenly became forgetful.

"I am your Calculus Professor earlier," he repeated, which helped me wake up.

"Oh... Yes, sir... Uhm... Please sit down, Prof..." I squeezed myself to the side of the bench and placed my palm beside me. "Please have a seat first... I'm sorry for offering only now..."

He blinked but kept quiet. However, his eyes were still very engaging. From the corner of my eye, I saw how he received my offer. If I was surprised, it was because he sat right after my palm was placed on the seat, beside me. I could smell the perfume that he had been wearing all day. The scent was so strong that it felt like punching my stomach and nostrils. It was a very masculine scent.

I withdrew my hand as I felt his slacks brush against my hand.

"I understand... You're still adjusting to the real setting for a normal student. But homeschooling is also normal..."