✔️Chapter 1 (Decided)

Chapter 1

Astherielle's POV

"Asthe!" Mama calls me loudly.

I cannot remember a time when she called me using proper language; it was always either in a gruff tone or a shout.

"Yes, Mama? I'm here," I quickly ran towards her.

"You... Yes, you! Later, after you eat and finish your chores, go straight to your room, okay? You'll be in trouble if I catch you outside when I come home tonight!"

Our TV is in the living room, and it's the only one we have, which is something I regret. I can't watch my favorite shows on my favorite TV channel because I have a curfew every day. I'm not allowed to leave my room after eight o'clock at night.

Mama works at a well-known club. She's a waitress there, and over time, the manager convinced her to become an entertainer and a paid companion. Her duty is from five in the afternoon until twelve o'clock in the morning. She's given the graveyard shift, so she often comes home drunk and exhausted in the evenings.

All my life, I followed her orders not to leave my room at the designated curfew time, even though I knew she wouldn't notice me no matter what I did because she doesn't care when she comes home. But sometimes, I couldn't help but leave my room because I didn't have my own bathroom. Yeah, I've witnessed countless vulgar scenes in our living room and Mama's bedroom. She's never come home without a man.

Those were the things she didn't want me to see, but she didn't know that I'd already seen them before she even said anything. I've seen her engage in personal and intimate activities multiple times. I grew up knowing all of it, but I never said anything to her.

Many men have passed through Mama's life, and she doesn't even know who my real father is anymore. I'm tired of asking who my father really is.

I accept her job because that's what I realized has been providing for me, for us. I was able to do homeschooling to some extent. What I can't accept is the kind of work she has to do just for us to survive.

I can't think of any other way for us to get out of this kind of life. It's difficult to change it now because Mama's body is already craving the work at the club.

"Okay, Mama... Please take care when going to work... I hope you won't come home drunk... I'm scared of what might happen to you outside... How about you ask Auntie Lucia to accompany you home instead?"

I am referring to her co-worker who is also an entertainer in the club. I have met and talked to this person several times because Mama would take me to the club during inconvenient times. She would hide me in a corner so her manager wouldn't see me, and so I wouldn't see what was happening in the club. But I was curious, and I would sneak a peek, and I saw the kind of world Mama was in. It was colorful, smoky, dark, smelled like alcohol, and was loud and passionate. Those things were not meant for my innocent self to witness.

"Don't boss me around, Asthe... You know I hate it when you lead me like that. You don't care who I go with anymore, do you? That's my problem and not yours!"

"I'm just worried about you, Mama... If only I could be the one to pick you up..."

"Oh, Asthe! You're so stubborn! Do what I say, not what you want! Stay here and study in your room! And don't you dare open those doors and windows, okay? Alright, I'm leaving now. I'll be late for work!"

I just followed her with my eyes as she walked away.

Mama got pregnant with me at an early age. She was only fifteen years old then, so if you look at us, we could pass as sisters. She still has the posture, face, and figure of a young woman, which is why many men still find her attractive. It's as if she never gave birth, she's so thin. She takes care of herself because that's her investment in life.