CHAPTER 11『AMOUR』

Start from the beginning

"Alexander The Great? Military reforms? Pushing the enemy back? What exactly are you trying to say?"said the girl named Aurelia Taliesyn.

"Pushing the Barbarians out of our lands is our objective; how about we take it a step further?"I said, with a faint smile appearing at the corners of my lips, imagining what kind of paths for me, yet unopened, will reveal themselves.

"It is an interesting approach. But I think you haven't thought too much about it. What army are you gonna use? The Tagmata, the guys who are sent here to kill you?"said Aurelia.

"Have you ever heard of the Opis Mutiny, dear Aurelia?"I said, after making a short pause, thinking of what I can use from my lectic arsenal.

"Yes, I have. In the Elden Gaia, Alexander returns from the land we call today Ios, then India, after securing the Indian king Porus on the river Hydaspes. Then, his troops dissatisfied by his Persianization, mutiny against him."said the erudite Aurelia

"That is correct. It is believed to be the greatest speech of all time."I said, sipping my tea, while still looking Aurelia in the eye.

"I do not disagree, but where are you getting at?"she said.

"Words cannot change a man's heart. Though actions can. Tell me, Aurelia...what do you think lies beyond the Far North?"I said, standing up from my seat, now pacing around her.

"I...don't know. The lands of the Barbarians who oppose us, sure, but..."

"In the land beyond the North, lies glory, Aurelia. Undiscovered lands. Riches yet to be pillaged. Tribes yet to be subdued. And men yet to be bent to the will of the Empire."I said, now behind her.

"Is there anything better than glory? Men who live and die by the sword seek exactly that. They are no fools, oh no, they aren't. They are merely trying to leave their footprint in this godforsaken world. Stay alive in the memories of their kin."I said, moving further behind her, looking at the massive door which connected the Tea Living room to the next of the Castle.

"But I seek no glory. I am trying to find something more...raw. Power. I want power, Aurelia. It's my nectar and ambrosia; the thing I live for."i said, putting my two hands behind my back.

Aurelia stood up from her chair, to face me my back.

"Is there anything more addicting than success? More infatuating than power? More noble than glory?"I said, now turning to face her.

"Times are going to change, Aurelia. After that, things are rather bound to shift. So? What are you going to do? Do the intelligent and lend me your sword, or stay out of it, out of the glory of man, who is so desperately thirsty for it?"I said, opening my arms wide.

She remained quiet, or rather, stood still in awe.

"Oh, my dear Grace...my body...it tingles with anticipation!"she declared elegantly in the whole room.

"What...?"I said, taken by surprise.

"What a speech! What rhetoric prowess! I can offer no comment to grasp the magnitude of synaesthesia I felt!"she said, now reddening, coming closer to me.

"Huh?"I simply said, before she was right next to me, her silver hair glittering under the afternoon sun behind me.

"You ought to take responsibility for this. I fell for you, right here my dear! How couldn't I? Such a way with words...!"she said, now being inches away from me, breathing heavily.

I could do nothing but blush. This...this isn't how it was supposed to go!

A speech about warriors and glory isn't supposed to result to flirt and amour!