8

Opening my eyes, I'm surrounded by darkness. I know I'm alive because I can feel how my body is hurting all over. I look towards the window and see that it's dark outside. How long was I out for? Is everyone okay? I slowly sit up, dragging my hands over my face trying to soothe my throbbing headache. What happened?

The needle, the crazy scientist. The lives I took while destroying the building. A tear falls down my cheek and I wipe it away. It was unavoidable, I tell myself over and over.

Slowly standing up and stumbling my way out of the room, I see that the lights are on in the main room. Hushed voices can also be heard. I hold onto the wall as I drag my feet, heading towards the room and rounding the corner. Darren, Austin, and Amber snap their head in my direction.

"You shouldn't be up and about." Darren walks over to me and grabs my hands, ready to lead me back.

"I'm fine, can someone tell me what's going on? What happened?" there is a conversation going on between them that I don't catch before Darren leads me towards a chair and I slump down on it. Already feeling exhausted.

"That crazy scientist injected the liquid into your system. I don't know what it was, but I know that it would've killed a regular human being. I suspect you survived because you, as well as all of us, have these abilities. Disorders as the government calls them." He takes a breath as if debating on telling me the rest.

"That all happened earlier tonight. You've only been out for a couple of hours. The building collapsed as you probably know. Only a few guards survived, but they ran away instead of chasing after us. You were in bad shape, so we stole a vehicle and got you back. You're obviously fine now, but we were scared for a second there." I look down at my hands that are currently fiddling with the end of my shirt.

"Thank you." Darren looks shocked and I offer a smile. "For not leaving me behind. For having my back and taking care of me even if I took irresponsible choices." a hand claps me gently on the back and I turn around to find Amber look at me with warm eyes.

"Of course, we would. We're together in all of this." I look behind her to find Austin smiling, silently agreeing with her. "What about the other two? Umm... Jody and Jacob?" Austin nods.

"They're sleeping. Thy haven't had a good night's rest in a while. Jeremy is also asleep. The toll on his body after using his abilities made him tired." That makes sense. Hell, that might even be why I feel so horrible.

"Is that why I feel so tired? And my body hurts?" Darren nods. "Yeah, you have the lowest stamina of us all, but we can work on that. In the meantime, I would like you to rest. Your body is still recovering from the deadly fluid you got into your bloodstream not too long ago." I nod slowly standing up and forcefully dragging my feet along with me.

"You look how I feel." Austin states before helping me, by draping my arm over his shoulder. Which is basically carrying me since he's so much taller than me. After arriving at my bedroom, me drops me off at my bed turning towards me before he closes the door.

"Even though I don't approve of the decision of killing all of those people by bringing the whole building down. I understand."

"Yeah, I feel bad, but I try to convince myself that it was necessary. Doesn't help much, it's just that I have an understanding on that it's a life-or-death situation. We could've just ended back into the hands of the same scientist if we didn't end the research." He nods. "Yeah, we're in a desperate situation, and like they say; desperate situation causes for desperate needs."

"Yeah, thanks for bringing me back. I'll go back to sleep. Goodnight." He nods before closing the door on his way out.

Falling asleep was much more difficult than I anticipated. My mind wouldn't stop racing with thought about which families I must have ruined. The deaths of everyone that I've killed washing over me, drowning me in guilt.