Mariel - 25 Morning Star, 1246 A.D.

"See, that's where we are. Tiny Manta. It's the smallest of the Hefredies Isles." Yula said as she demonstrated our location on her map.

"I see." I nodded thoughtfully.

It seemed I was relatively close to Naren after all, though how long it would take me to get there, I couldn't say. Either way, it hardly mattered as I wouldn't make any plans to go there, but it was comforting to know that I was close to home. I just wished there was some way to confirm my family's security. The possibility that something may have happened to them after my recent disappearance was not lost on me, but I couldn't dwell on that for too long. The worry would consume me alive and, short of turning myself over to The Pale Kings, there was little I could do to alleviate it. I resolved to pray for their safety as I always did, and instead focus my efforts on remaining hidden. It was really all I could do... I steeled myself and decided to obtain answers to a few, more pressing questions, both to keep myself occupied and to help me form a plan of what I would do next. Luckily, Yula was eager to talk to me and rather frank, so asking her seemed like the beat way to obtain what I needed.

"I've been meaning to ask...how is it that you found me?"

"Oh, well, I didn't find you. One of the babies did. I took them out to play on the beach one morning, and they started shouting and crying about finding a body. I rushed back to fetch Auntie Hilde once I saw you because I had no idea what to do! I remember you were so blue in the face and all over that I was sure you were already dead! We almost guessed that someone put their corpse out on the beach to let the tide wash it away because your hands were so neatly arranged on your chest." She demonstrated on herself, closing her eyes for added effect, "That was until you started coughing up water when Auntie Hilde pumped your chest and stomach. Someone had to have rescued you, though. People don't wash up with their arms like that. I just wonder why they wouldn't have told anyone; we're just a short walk away. They really should have said something to us."

"Yes, that is strange..." I remarked in a worrisome tone.

Whoever had pulled me from the depths clearly had no intention of harming me, else I would not be here, but how strange it was that I'd been taken from the sea and then simply left there. Perhaps the person who found me thought I was dead and had the impression that I lived here, so they left me there to be found by my close relations when they inevitably searched for me. It was far-fetched to imagine, but I suppose it could have happened.

"Did any of my belongings wash up ashore with me?"

"No. Just you. Whatever luggage you had is probably at the bottom of the ocean now." She replied with a shrug and a twisted lip.

"O-Oh, I see..."

A few reluctant tears slipped down my cheeks. It seemed the card tin he'd given me was truly gone...

"Oh no, don't cry!" She said before she joined me on the bed and gave me a firm hug, "Auntie Hilde says it's a miracle you're alive; we should thank Dorma and Orran for that, Anna. You can always buy more things."

"Y-Yes." I eked out if only to comfort her, as I cried as quietly as possible.

It seemed all that remained now were my quickly fading memories of him...