Chapter 24: Solace

[Arizona's POV]

I was cleared for discharge after a few days of being in the hospital. Physically, I was feeling better; my body didn't ache as much as it did in the immediate aftermath of the accident and I was left with only bruises and minor scrapes that would heal in days.

Most days, Callie didn't leave my side unless she needed to tend to a patient. Owen granted her very flexible hours, which I was grateful for because I needed time with my wife. I was still getting used to dealing with my trauma publicly, but it helped more than I could've imagined to not go through it alone.

I was still heartbroken about the loss of our son. I couldn't stop telling myself that it was my fault and that I should've done more to save his life. It didn't matter how many times Callie tried to convince me that there was nothing I could've done.

I should've been taking it easier. I should've avoided participating in medical transport at all. I should've known what to do from the moment I saw that blood- I mean, I'm an obstetrician, for christ's sake. I should've, I should've, I should've.

I watch despondently as Callie signs my discharge papers. I have no idea what to do when I get out of here. I can't go back to work. I don't want to sit at home. Recovery has become tedious already.

"Thank you for all you've done for us, Connie," Callie says, smiling warmly and passing the clipboard back over.

"Oh, of course," Connie smiles, looking at both Callie and myself. "Once again, I am so sorry for all that has happened to you both. If you need anything at all, please come find me. If something feels wrong, give me a call. I'll see you two in a few weeks for a follow up ultrasound."

I smile in thanks and wave to Connie, unable to express my gratitude any other way.

"Take care."

"You, too, Connie," Callie says, turning around and walking over to retrieve me.

As Callie wheels me out of the hospital doors, I feel a sudden urge to be close to her and just remind her how eternally grateful I am for her presence.

I reach up and place my hand above hers, smiling gently.

"I love you, Callie."

"I love you, too."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we drove home, I stared out the window and thought more about what I was going to do to keep myself occupied. The ride was short and silent and I felt like I was already getting a taste of what my time off would feel like.

I was eager, however, to see Sofia. I always admired how excited she got whenever Callie and I came home from work.

I couldn't sleep while I was in the hospital. All I could think about was our son.... sorrow filled me all day and all night while in there.

When we pulled in the driveway, Callie helped me out of the car, and walked me into the warm, dry  house.

"Hello?" Callie called into the house.

"Hey," the young babysitter said, coming around the corner.

Her name was Jessica, I believe.

I gasped quietly.

"There's my girl," I opened my arms towards my daughter.

Jessica smiled. "

Yeah, we had lots of fun, didn't we Sof?" Jessica cooed to her.