Chapter Seventeen

"We have a problem! A big problem!" Marissa and Lincoln rushed down the stairs and away from the office. Marissa tripped at the bottom of the stairs, Lincoln grabbing her around the waist from behind to stop her from falling. She didn't have time to say anything as they whipped down and around to where Ellie Rae and Jax were. Ellie Rae's eyes were closed but Jax was wide awake.

"What's going on?"

"Daniel's bringing unwanted company." Marissa knelt to Ellie Rae and shook her shoulder. She stirred and opened an eye. "Ellie Rae, we have to go."

"Why?"

"Trouble." Ellie Rae was pale. There was a loud noise outside and a crash and everyone barely had time to cover themselves as Daniel burst through the glass window, bringing a shower of glass pieces down on them. Marissa went to cover Ellie Rae and Jax while Lincoln dove for her. Jax turned to cover Ellie Rae so Lincoln diving for Marissa pushed her away from them. They landed with a thud and Marissa yelped as her shoulder connected with the ground.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, would have been better if you hadn't dive bombed me." She went to sit up, pushing her hair behind her ear. Lincoln got to his feet and helped her up. Daniel was also getting to his feet. They all turned to him.

"Welcome back."

"Thanks. We need to go." He looked down at Ellie Rae. "What.."

"She's exhausted. We can't go anywhere."

"We kind of have to." There was a loud noise that made him look behind him. "Like, now."

"What is it?"

"Bad things." Something growled and they all looked. "Grab your stuff. Is there a back door?"

"Probably through the kitchen?" That was when it showed up.

Marissa actually gave a small scream and reached for her bag where her gun was. Daniel reacted faster, his gun in his hand. He turned around and shot at it, knocking it backwards. Jax was on his feet in an instant, scooping Ellie Rae up as he did so. The gun shot didn't stop it though. Despite knocking the creature back, it jerked up and looked at the snarling. There was no hesitation from the gang when several more creatures came up behind it. They had no time to grab bags. Lincoln set the pace by heading to the kitchen. The creatures sped over the now broke windowsill toward them, all arms, and legs as they came for them.

Lincoln crashed into the door, forcing it open. Jax barely made it through with Ellie Rae when Daniel had to fire his gun again, the noise startling them all. Marissa looked around them, They were in an alley way, with very limited choices on getting out. Daniel slammed the door shut and leaned against it, motioning to Lincoln to help him. The two of them used their weight against the door just as the beings crashed into it. They almost fell back but the two of them kept pushing back.

"Where to go, where to go." Marissa muttered to herself.

"We need a plan!" Lincoln yelled. Ellie Rae was the one who answered.

"Up." Marissa looked over at her and then followed her gaze. She was looking up at a fire escape. And judging by their environment, that was their only escape.

"Are you feeling okay to get up yourself?" Ellie Rae nodded and muttered something to Jax. He put her down and she shrugged the cloths off her. Marissa looked her over. She looked pale. And tired. So, very tired.

"You start heading up, we'll follow." Daniel grunted as he pushed back on the door. Marissa turned to Ellie Rae and Jax. Jax nodded and he ushered Ellie Rae toward it. Without saying anything, he had understood his role now. Ellie Rae first.