Chapter 58: The Armor

Start from the beginning

Grogu turns to look at Din, his lip tucked in uncertainty. Astra's heart aches for him, though Din's quick to kneel down to his level. "Squeeze your fist to launch the darts," Din instructs. Grogu coos and starts to lower his ears. "You'll be fine."

Din stands back up to his full level. Bo-Katan gives him an incredulous look. "He doesn't know how to fire darts?" she questions, her voice hushed.

"He's got this," Din insists. "Trust me."

Astra sighs and looks at Zora. She frowns at her mother and turns to look at Grogu. A smile returns to her lips as she claps her hands together. "Gogu!" Zora cheers. "Go go!"

Grogu's ears rise on his head at his sister's cheering. Astra smiles to herself and takes the hint from her daughter. You've got this, Grogu.

"Ready," the judge announces. Both the foundlings nod at him. "Begin!"

Without hesitation, the boy extends his fist and shoots his first dart, hitting Grogu square in the center of his robe.

Astra holds a breath as the judge gestures towards the boy. "Point!"

Grogu turns to look at Din with a doubtful tilt of his head. He coos at his father, who offers a slight wave of his hand. "Don't look at me. Look at him." Astra glances at Din and he nods at her. He knows what he's doing, and it's likely what his Mandalorian mentor once had to make him do. It doesn't make it any easier to watch from the side.

"Ready," the judge calls again. "Begin!"

Yet again, the boy launches a dart quickly and gets a hit on Grogu. Their son coos in disbelief.

"Point!"

Din kneels down to Grogu's level again. "Grogu, I've seen what you can do," he encourages him. "It's okay. Show them."

Both Din and Grogu return to their previous places. Astra holds one of Zora's tiny hands for comfort. She may still be unfamiliar with Mandalorian customs, but she trusts her husband, and she has faith in their son.

"Ready," the judge calls one more time. "Begin!"

The boy goes to launch his final dart, but Grogu's faster. The little one leaps and flips over the boy's head, earning a surprised "Whoa!" from the foundling. Grogu flips back over as soon as he lands, fully catching the boy off guard before he fires all three darts at once to end the fight.

"Three points," the judge announces. He points at Grogu. "Winner!"

The gathered crowd starts to applaud. "There you go," Din praises Grogu.

"Gogu!" Zora joins in.

Bo-Katan looks between Din and Astra. "Did you teach him that?" she asks, impressed.

Din tilts his helmet at her. "Not me."

"And definitely not me," Astra adds.

The boy sighs as he walks away from the site of his defeat. Grogu looks at Din with his little chin held high and as Astra steals a look at her husband, she can imagine the way he beams with pride upon their little warrior. "Great job, kid," Din says, his modulated voice warm with his praise.

"Goo Gogu!" Zora cheers with a few claps of her hands. Din tilts his helmet in admiration of her as Astra smiles with her. "Gogu go!"

"Grogu did it!" Astra adds, kissing her daughter's temple. Grogu coos and lifts his ears in joy.

That feeling is short-lived. There's a loud screeching from behind them that causes the entire group to turn in panic. All they can do is watch as a giant raptor flies low and takes the foundling Grogu had just fought in its talons, causing frantic chatter to spread throughout the shore. Astra takes Zora's head in her hand and hides her little face in her shoulder while Din looks down and makes sure Grogu's still close and covered. The raptor flies off as the boy screams for help.