Chapter 58: The Armor

Start from the beginning

Astra takes a deep breath and nods, willing herself to have the same faith in Grogu that her husband does. Zora lets out an anxious coo and Astra gives her forehead a kiss. She can't be a worried mother forever. Their children are meant to grow and become warriors just like the foundlings who finish a training match in front of her. She just has to trust Din and the way he'll oversee their children's training step-by-step, starting with Grogu.

Din stops and sets Grogu on the ground as the foundlings in front of them finish their fight. One of them, his helmet painted blue, manages to throw the other onto the ground just before the judge deems them, "Winner!" Astra looks at Grogu and watches his ears rise and fall.

Astra's worries start to get the best of her again. Before she can voice them, Bo-Katan makes her approach and asks the same thing. "Are you sure this is a good idea?" Bo questions, her voice low as she joins them at Astra's side.

"It was his idea," Astra insists, gesturing with her head to Din.

Din huffs and sets a hand on Astra's back. "If he's ever to rise from foundling to apprentice," Din explains, "he must learn." He sets his weight on his lip and waves at the Mandalorian from before. "Judge!" The orange-painted Mandalorian makes his way back over to them. Din gestures to Grogu. "He challenges."

The judge takes one quick look at Grogu. "He is too small," he observes.

"I am his ward," Din insists. "Proceed."

Grogu coos as he looks upon his opponent. Astra resists the urge to give Din a dubious look as the judge continues. "What weapon?"

Din nods at the other foundling. "Let the challenged decide."

Astra holds Zora close and sighs as she looks upon the foundling. He stands there with his arms crossed in determination. "Darts," the boy answers.

The judge waves to another Mandalorian. "Bring the training darts," he commands.

Astra shares a look with Bo-Katan. Bo tilts her helmet at Astra, who shrugs in response. The boy's voice breaks through their silent exchange. "Why doesn't he wear a helmet?"

"He is too young to speak the Creed," Din responds, "and so, too young to wear a helmet."

The foundling looks between Grogu and Din. "Then he's too young to fight."

Astra raises her brow, surprised by the boy's bold words. Grogu coos in disbelief and turns around to face Din. "'One does not speak unless one knows,'" Din quotes. "Is that not the Creed?"

"Well, I know," the foundling mutters.

Din nods at him. "Perhaps this lesson is for you, then." Astra smiles to herself. The man can't resist acting like a father even to children who aren't his own.

The Mandalorian returns with the training darts. He hands them off to the judge, who sets the crate down and opens it. "Fighters, arm yourselves," the judge commands.

The boy takes his own while Bo-Katan sets a hand on Astra's shoulder and takes the initiative for Grogu. Astra can just barely make out Bo's words to him as she secures the darts in place. "Don't worry," Bo assures him. "My dad was the same way. He's just proud of you."

Astra smiles at Bo's kind words. Grogu can use all the Mandalorian support he can get. When Astra steals a look at Din, she notices he's tuned out of their private conversation, his visor instead glancing around as his cuirass rises and falls in a steady breath. Astra begins to wonder if he's being brought back to his own childhood amongst the Mandalorians.

Bo-Katan stands back at Astra's side. Astra thanks Bo and she nods in return. Meanwhile, the judge starts to explain the rules. "Each has three darts. You may fire the darts in any order. Each direct hit scores one point. A mark must be visible to score. One round. Highest score wins."