28) To track down a tracker

Start from the beginning

Huh?!

James shot his head up and bursted out the denial, "I would not lose against you in chess!"

Ryland hummed, viewing his nails, "Mm, Yes you would."

"No I-!"

The door opened unexpectedly which caused both teenagers to whip their heads to see who came in.

"Ryland, come-" Ray halted his speech and let his eyes trail over to the two younger boy's on the bed, mainly James. Ray cocked his head sideways sharply and frowned, "Why arent you asleep? You have school tomorrow."

"Yeah, James," Ryland sniggered, "Go to sleep instead of losing against me."

"Because Ryland's being a dick!" James claimed in agitation, ignoring the said boy's comment.

"Hey!" Ryland's grin dropped into a glower, "Who's being the sore loser now?!"

James looked around incredulously, flinging his arms up, "We didn't even play! See! This is why I think I'd easily beat you in chess. Your intelligence!" James paused to let the words sink in, before continuing, "Is the reason you're in set four in classes!"

Ryland gasped dramatically, which made James slump and sigh in return. "I'm not in any set four class!" Ryland retorted in offence, "They're all set one!"

To be fair, it was a violation: Set four had typically the lowest achieving students, with set one having the best achieving.

"You know what?" Ryland asked. He lifted his hand and pointed a finger to James's face, "Suck your m-"

"Okay enough," Ray grumbled, interrupting his younger brother and pulling him out the room, "We have things to talk about."

This time James didn't watch Ryland go out the room and instead, layed in bed in an attempt to sleep.

He scoffed. "I can easily beat him in  games like chess."

[ . . . ]

Daylight broke through the curtains from underneath, swaying Noah awake from his place on Ray's bed.

He groaned, stretching over- reaching.

And didn't feel the desired body next to him. Noah opened his eyes to see the empty space beside him and sighed, resigned.

Ray didn't come back to sleep. He was out all night.

Again.

Ugh, college.

Already feeling as if his day was ruined, Noah turned his head and peered at the clock on the bedside table.

13:45

What?!

The numbers he read made Noah shoot upright and stumble off bed with the sheets bunched up around him.

He was late!

About... five hours late...

"How- When-" Noah was disorientated as he tried to grip sense of the situation.

How did he manage to sleep in that much?

Why did no one wake me up?!

Just as he was about to grab his clothes to get changed, Noah's eyes caught sight of a small cup of coffee with a note next to his bedside table.

He picked it up.

'Yes Noah, we tried to wake you up. But you were K.Oed lol. I made some coffee for you three, we'll see you after college.