They stepped back until they came upon a wall more than seven meters high and interrupting the view of whatever was on the other side. No footholds on which they could climb and thus escape their pursuers. There were no other avenues they could use to vanish.

Meanwhile, other voices seemed to join Jian's chorus; it would be a matter of a few moments and they would end up in some dingy slammer, or worse, each of them would have both hands chopped off, a fate that befell those who committed theft.

They tried to open the doors that faced down the alley, although the gesture proved somewhat futile, since they were barred or locked from the inside. The buildings around them gradually became more and more stifling. They were trapped like rats, with no way out and panic beginning to knock at their doors.

However, surrendering did not seem a plausible option. Since childhood they had fought for survival, and if falling was their only option, they would do so with their heads held high.

Gavin planted his gaze there where he had observed that strange individual a few moments ago, stunned when he noticed that there was no trace of him. He shook his head, distraught and wondering if it was all just a trick of his imagination, brought on by terror and fatigue.

«There they are, those little buggers are trapped and they won't be able to escape us!» exclaimed a man who was thin and shorter than the others, pointing to the group gathered in a circle, with one another huddled close together, facing the impending danger with proud and resolute looks. It would have been impossible for Jian and his right arm to sneak into the alley given their size. But that figure with the thick beard as black as darkness and the bleak gaze was instead just the right size.

He confidently clutched the spear he held, vibrating it against the silver armor that covered every layer of his body. It was probably a palace guard, alerted by the baker or by the screams pouring through the streets of Canton Cay. Faced with that inauspicious fate and the end that awaited them, the young men took each other's hands, closing their eyes and smiling, as if an old friend was on his way to meet them. It was now only a matter of a few seconds, then it would all be over.

«FIRE WALL!»

The air became scorching hot and a burning smell spread quickly, invading the nostrils of the little ones. Their leader, as well as the eldest, Declan, opened his eyes; in front of him sparked crimson flames that blazed upward, forming for all intents and purposes a veritable barrier that prevented the guards from being able to pass over.

But the most unusual thing was that in front of him was a young boy with bluish hair, which shone with a vivid radiance and revealed more aquamarine locks. He smiled back at him, but that was not all; it was as if there was a crimson aura around him, protecting him from the flames. Something totally out of the ordinary. Could it be that he was already delirious? Probably if he had closed his eyes again, he would have awakened elsewhere, realizing that it was just a bad dream.

«Hey, this is no time to take a nap!» the boy's voice awakened him, forcing him to open his eyes again and realize how this was the stark, naked reality «This won't hold them back much longer» he continued, pointing to the flaming wall that seemed almost on the verge of going out and the guards that would be swooping down on them «Get the others and be ready, I'm about to open an escape route for you!» concluded the boy as he turned and stretched both arms toward one of the doors the eight had failed to open.

Declan shook the others, who without a word or an explanation, waited for the young man to grant them a loophole «Stand by on the count of three!» The little ones got into position, not understanding, however, what this mysterious fellow wanted to do.

«One... Two... Three... Now! Flaming Lion!»

As if by magic, an intense golden flame sprang from his hands and took the shape of a ferocious beast, going crashing into the steel door, melting it in no time like melted butter. What kind of trick had he used? Was he a human or perhaps just a figment of a childish imagination due to hunger? Too many questions crowded the little ones' minds, but now was not the time for that. What they needed to do was get the hell out of there right away.