My eyes roamed freely with shock, locking onto the intense gaze of my mate behind Piper's back. He locked his dark blue eyes on me, the cooking tongs in his hand paused mid-way to pick up a burger. He was keen to get on my bad side, keen to bring me down... So, with a smirk of bubbling adrenaline, I parted my lips.

His eyes narrowed as Piper pushed the chicken past my lips, her finger grazing my mouth as it left. He was rigid, tense as he glowered at me. Shifting uncomfortably, he was about to come over to us when Piper giggled. I snapped my attention back to her, to see her giving me a keen smirk.

"I think you'll settle in here very well." She chimed, eating the other half.

"Thanks." I smiled, blushing. "Do... Do you usually live here?"

She cocked her head, and I blabbered to continue.

"I saw you arrive yesterday, so I just wondered."

Her eyes widened with realisation, a small giggle escaping her lips. "Oh, you saw that. But no, I am not from this pack. I'm from another Continental pack, though, across the ocean."

"Oh really? What's it called?" I wondered.

I could do some research later, perhaps.

"My pack is the Ardour pack. My father is the Alpha."

I hesitated before giving into my curiosity. "And you and Alpha Asra are..."

Her lips twitched slightly, the corners of her eyes grimacing for a moment. That was curious. I wonder why that triggered a reaction?

"We're intended." She stated unemotionally.

"Intended?"

"Oh, humans. So much to learn." She sighed dramatically, changing the subject. "We will have to hang out, so I can teach you more and we can get to know each other."

I hesitated at her eagerness, but took the moment to appraise her. Despite her natural beauty, I didn't find her as a threat. If she and Asra were "intended" then it had to mean there was something there, and if he cared for her, all the better. I didn't want to be here anyway...

"Okay, that sounds good." I nodded, picking up another piece of the chicken wing.

She beamed, her white perfect teeth taking me by surprise. "Oh, thank you. I can't wait to get to know you better. There's just something about you. It draws me in."

Wasn't the first time I had heard that...

I must've voiced that out loud, because she laughed.

"Oh, you are funny too. It's a breath of fresh air from this pack. They're all so serious and dated."

"They are?" I wondered.

"Well, half of them. The elder wolves are stuck in the past. A lot of things could do with updating, morals especially."

"Yeah, I think I know what you mean." I nodded, thinking about a certain nurse.

Someone suddenly shouted at her, and she turned to give them a broad grin, her hair shining as she spun around.

"One second!"

Looking back at me, she stepped forward to embrace me. My free hand wrapped around her back with surprise as both of hers cupped my sides.

"Come find me tomorrow morning?" She questioned once she pulled away.

"Sure..."

"Oh, that's silly of me. You can't smell me!" She giggled. "I will be down for breakfast. I love weekend breakfasts."