[07] Starting Slow

"I think Romero Donnelley is abusive towards Roxanne," Tim told Bruce the day he was supposed to report his progress on the case, "I have not met the man more than once because she makes it a point to keep me away from him. But they will both be attending the Fall Gala so we can make use of that event to find out more."

He nodded, going through the binder Tim had compiled on the Donnelley siblings, including each and every news article on them as well as their public appearances. His eyes too stopped at the case of Adrian Castellan, a young man rumored to be killed by Romero.

"I have no more information on Adrian yet," Tim remarked, noting his attention on the case, "I will have to go to Ireland to scoop out more and I don't think that will be feasible."

"Don't worry, I will send someone and inform you if we get anything," Bruce closed the file but then remarked after a pause, "I see you have adapted very well to your new role."

He shook his head, "what can I say, I am very adaptable."

"How is Miss Donnelley's behavior toward you?"

He paused to think, "she's getting better. At first, we were very formal with each other but I think she is starting to open up more."

"Good. She is the only person who knows exactly what her brother is like, you can find out a lot through her if you are observant."

"I know," he mumbled but a shadow crossed over his eyes, "but I don't think I would like to find out more."

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing," he shook his head, placing the binder back on the desk, "I think... I am worried for her."

Bruce knew Tim was a very kind person at heart and even in the current situation, he was worried for Roxanne because he had somewhat of an idea of what she could be going through.

"You can't help her until or unless she asks you to," he reminded him of the contract once again and Tim took in a deep breath, nodding his head in affirmation.

"I know. That's all I have on them so far, I will inform you if I find more."

Bruce stood up, intending to leave the room. But before stepping out, he left him with one last word of warning, "in all the time I have known Roxanne Donnelley, I don't think she's a victim you should be taking pity on. It can all be an act too so you must be careful when dealing with her."

"Why do you even know her?" Tim spoke up, asking the one question that had been bothering him ever since Bruce had put him on the case, "and why would she ask you to arrange a bodyguard for her of all people? She doesn't know we're the Bats, right?"

"She doesn't know. But that's all I can tell you," he stepped out, closing the door behind him.

There were times Tim felt as if he was being played by both of them. It was a foolish thought, considering Bruce would never trick him but the man held too much information that he refused to share and it sometimes made Tim anxious.

He looked back at the binder, the one name standing out from it still.

Adrian Castellan.

He felt that man was linked to the Donnelleys by more than just his murder. There was something to him that could be a clue to uncovering Romero's dealings with the underworld. 

He just had to find out what that clue was. And Bruce was right; Roxanne might be the best person to point him in the right direction. The only problem was that she hadn't yet told him about anything regarding her personal life and he couldn't get involved unless she asked him to.